www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 12-03-21, 08:18   #151
Robsters85
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Oh, it is available. The goal of this thread is, to have it LEGALLY available. As it stands now, Square Enix still holds the right to the gold levels (including LA). They cannot be considered abandonware, as they are still part of a very much alive franchise.

Our hopes here are to get a definitive (see what I did there?) answer from Square, as to if they can be treated as abandonware or - if not - they will at least be released for digital purchase in the near future. Either would be fine with me, as long as there is a legal way of obtaining them.
while i agree it seems odd for it to be abandonware given they sell the classics but there are old 90s need for speeds on abandonware sites and the same for simcity 1 and 2000 and both of those still going with EA so i think when a game does hit a certain age it must be become abandonware! it would be interesting to find out the legal side of that and it would probably be quicker than waiting for square enix reply which given by this thread has gone on since 2019. I did find a site selling the lost artifact as a download now surely thats not legal? (during my google searches) music when it gets to a certain age does go into public domain so could games be similar to that in that regards to there age too? perhaps thats why so many old games are getting remasters so they can cash in on them again before they become public domain or to stop it entirely becoming abandonware? same as music artist do re-releases of there old tracks...i dunno I am just guessing here but it would be a great question for anyone with legal knowledge for this industry. i believe the same goes for anything creative becomes public domain but with music i am sure its something like 50-70 years after release.....games could be less time. I am pretty sure old games like space invaders and tetris are now public domain games

Last edited by Robsters85; 12-03-21 at 08:24.
Robsters85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 11:04   #152
ANoDE
Golden

I'm not sure how trustworthy this source is, but a similar thing has been discussed over here: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/a/239616

The comment I linked states that most games released in the US will take at least 95 years until their copyright vanishes and they become public domain. (Again, I have no clue as to how accurate that is, but I'm fairly certain that's correct).

As for The Lost Artifact - since the rights holder still is in business (and still holds all the rights to the game), it certainly not be called abandonware, unfortunately. I know it has taken already years to get an answer from Square Enix, but there's simply nothing we can do about it, other than asking again and again...

Re-selling used physical copies (the original ones) should be legal, but providing downloads certainly isn't - that site you found the game on is most probably not trustworthy.
Old 12-03-21, 13:20   #153
Robsters85
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
I'm not sure how trustworthy this source is, but a similar thing has been discussed over here: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/a/239616

The comment I linked states that most games released in the US will take at least 95 years until their copyright vanishes and they become public domain. (Again, I have no clue as to how accurate that is, but I'm fairly certain that's correct).

As for The Lost Artifact - since the rights holder still is in business (and still holds all the rights to the game), it certainly not be called abandonware, unfortunately. I know it has taken already years to get an answer from Square Enix, but there's simply nothing we can do about it, other than asking again and again...

Re-selling used physical copies (the original ones) should be legal, but providing downloads certainly isn't - that site you found the game on is most probably not trustworthy.
oh yeah def would not trust that site i found however the site that gives away the iso of the old. need for speeds 1 2 & 3 from the 90s along with other even older 80s and 90s games been around for years and im sure by now it would of got taken down if it was illegal. given that EA pretty much abandoned old game support completely they would be the first to stop it if it was considered illegal. anyone on the forums have anyone they know in law to help us answer these questions? and yeah reselling used cds would not be illegal. just so glad i bought them back in the day i remember playing the demo of the scottish level and waiting the final week before the release of the new game good times. tomb raider was at its best then. def is so odd why it was not inc in steam and gog given that the game was sold alongside the gold levels and repackaged at the time infact i remember holding off waiting for tr3 gold before buying it as i was still playing tr2

update i found sites giving away gold levels to download it just states you need a legal version of gog or steam version...if my memory serves me right i was almost certain these were downloadable even back in the day but you needed the original game to run them....i dont recall them ever being sold seperately only repackaged with the original game as you needed the original game in order to load the gold levels anyway

Last edited by Robsters85; 12-03-21 at 13:25.
Robsters85 is offline   Reply With Quote