Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
The executable also mentions:

alosaur
snake
bat
bear
wolf

so I assume they had already planned for these enemies.
Alosaur? I assume that means Allosaurus...

Which makes me wonder, is the T-Rex in TR1 ever actually referred to as such in the game code? I know it is in tools like Wadmerger but those were written by fans years later.

Maybe it has it been an Allosaurus all this time and we just assumed 'T-Rex'? The general look and size matches.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 02:10   #42
tomblover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Which makes me wonder, is the T-Rex in TR1 ever actually referred to as such in the game code? I know it is in tools like Wadmerger but those were written by fans years later.

Maybe it has it been an Allosaurus all this time and we just assumed 'T-Rex'? The general look and size matches.
I had the exact same thought. Although, I suspect it was an Allosaurus only in TR1.

The big lizards in TR2 onwards, were probably all intended to be T-Rexes - since that's how the TR1 creature was interpreted, I imagine the idea stuck and they just went with it.

Kinda like how Larsen's name became Larson after TR1, because of a strategy guide misprint.

Last edited by tomblover; 05-05-21 at 02:11.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 02:27   #43
LaraCablara

Is there a 3d model of the snake in the files? Would be cool if someone who is familiar with the engine can explain how they did Lara's hair, the diagonal walls, etc, and how things changed to the final version.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 03:37   #44
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
Is there a 3d model of the snake in the files? Would be cool if someone who is familiar with the engine can explain how they did Lara's hair, the diagonal walls, etc, and how things changed to the final version.
Those snake looking textures in the texture set b122251 posted from the actual level would indicate so. There are a few SNAKE files there as well.

EDIT: In the meantime, I whipped this up for the modding community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Anyone want some TR1 Snakes?

Download

These are retextured versions of Geckokid's Mobile Snake, and the TR3 Nevada snake. More information in the included Readme.txt file.
Imagine Lara falling into a nest of these, it's a shame they didn't end up using snakes in the final game.

Last edited by Boobandie; 05-05-21 at 10:15.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 17:28   #45
Girafarig32

I remember seeing this early tech demo back in the day, though pixilated and short. It's cool to see it come to life finally! We've had a lot of luck with unreleased content coming to fruition lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
I cannot imagine, as a collector, having the honor of receiving stuff from a developer - and not combing through every last bit of it, until over ten years later.

I honestly don't know how I feel about that, but, whatever.
I had the same thought. Chris did mention he was kicking himself though.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-22, 15:18   #46
jeffrey van oort

Quote:
Originally Posted by croftyboy View Post
@b122251

Wow, thanks for the textures. And something cought my attention.
I've found there are some files called "snake" in the games' folder and these textures look like it could belong to a snake model.

https://twitter.com/croftyboy/status...02418187878405

Interesting find. They've probably used the codes & animations from the TR1 tech demo snakes, for the snakes in TRIII. The developers were obviously fascinated by snakes. If only they knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
I had the exact same thought. Although, I suspect it was an Allosaurus only in TR1.

The big lizards in TR2 onwards, were probably all intended to be T-Rexes - since that's how the TR1 creature was interpreted, I imagine the idea stuck and they just went with it.

Kinda like how Larsen's name became Larson after TR1, because of a strategy guide misprint.
Larsen was named after Karl Larsen. The strategy guide probably thought not having to pay $ for printing that name. (Perhaps it was legally restricted). (And they might coïncidently discovered a little bit more than it was just a name, after printing the name as Larson. The o isn't anywhere near the e).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
There is probably 3D software with which they've constructed these objects after their concept, of how Lara Cruz was supposed to look like, was drawn. The diagonal walls seemed excessive anyway? (Just to make things look more pretty).
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 12:12   #47
Ifrit61

Hello guys,
I just found out that the 1995 Tech Demo of Tomb Raider is now public and I would like to ask to you if you could teach me how to run it with DosBox.
Note that I have nearly zero experience with the app and that I downloaded just to run this particular game, so please be patient with me...

Thank you in advance!
Ifrit61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 13:41   #48
UroshUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifrit61 View Post
Hello guys,
I just found out that the 1995 Tech Demo of Tomb Raider is now public and I would like to ask to you if you could teach me how to run it with DosBox.
Note that I have nearly zero experience with the app and that I downloaded just to run this particular game, so please be patient with me...

Thank you in advance!
I think you just need to download the thing from the first post. It's already preconfigured.
UroshUchiha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-22, 10:49   #49
Ifrit61

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
I think you just need to download the thing from the first post. It's already preconfigured.
Welp, no comment...
Thank you for your patience...!
Ifrit61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-22, 15:20   #50
Greatest TR

I'm a bit confused, is this an actual TR beta or is it some kind TR fan work to make it look like TR beta close as possible?
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote