Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 19-07-20, 23:07   #11
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I think the orchestral metal idea is interesting. Not my kind of music so I probably wouldn't like it tbh, but I agree it would be extremely distinctive and stand out. Hardly any games have iconic soundtracks anymore.

I love your ideas for the story overall. I think making Lara and Sam lovers and having Lara need to put Sam down would be so tragic it would be an impactful story. Even if they didn't have the balls to make them lesbians and just kept them as friends it's still so much better than the story we got. I always thought they should have bumped Sam off, I guess they didn't want to take the story that dark. Lara picking up Roth's dual pistols is really a no-brainer. I have no idea why CD didn't take that opportunity, it was so blatant it looked like a good moment for her to get them. So many people have said that on here before too, that should have been the moment.

As far as her outfit, just out of interest, why maroon? I think it's interesting actually, it's a nice change to see a video game character not wearing boring neutral colours. I'm rather fond of Shadow Lara's dark blue shirt though, grossly ill-fitting as it is.
Hmph.

Glad you liked these ideas, thanks. XD

I picked maroon because each timeline has their own colour; classic was teal, Jolie was typically most associated with the black outfit in the opening of the first film and L/U is brown. I picked maroon in particular because it goes so well with black, hasn't been done before in any continuity, looks great in itself and I think Lara should have a bit of a gothic/dark-minded edge to her personality.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-20, 02:42   #12
SophieAyase

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
No-one will agree with the following, but I think TR should have adopted something truly original that wouldn't be a complete departure for its music - orchestral metal. Think Nightwish. Listen to that while you read on. This would retain its orchestral roots, but introduce metal as an original edge which you never see in AAA adventure games. It would add bags of raw style and cement a new attitude. The original theme should most definitely have been adapted.
Actually, something along the lines of Sarah Brightman's Symphony album would have worked really well imo! It's certainly not metal, but the concept was "gothic symphonic rock" or something to that effect.

Quote:
Lara and Sam would be in a lesbian relationship which both their parents don't know about as they're posh and stuck up, but Roth being the cool uncle type knows and is cool with it and on their side. This relationship between Sam and Lara would be a twist revealed about a quarter into the game. It would be an extremely daring aspect to include and would show CD would have had balls of ****ing steel to implement. The stakes of Sam being kidnapped twice would be much higher (especially if both their characters are overhauled so they're actually likeable). There could be a backlash at making Lara a lesbian, but she was also somewhat ambiguous, but I would respect tremendously what a bold move it would be.
You probably already know this, but Rihanna Pratchett said in an interview a while back that she'd originally intended for Lara to be gay, but didn't know if Square would go for it, so she didn't even attempt it and Dumbledored her instead. (No, I'm not bitter.)

Quote:
Let's be real, the logo is as generic as it could possibly ever have been designed. It's as if the designer was specifically told to make it as dull and unidentifiable as possible. It's literally the same as Uncharted's, Just Cause's, The Last of Us', Call of Duty's and probably heaps more. The logo should be a modernised, tweaked, maybe recoloured recreation of the original, most widely used EU logo.
I totally agree about the current logo being unspeakably generic, but "slab serif with a 'tomb'-y pattern fill" isn't exactly groundbreaking either. I think the Underworld-era logo was the best of the series, but assuming they wanted to get away from it to emphasize it was a reboot... I don't know, just anything with personality that didn't look cheap (like the awful US TLR logo).

Quote:
GAMEPLAY
CROFT MANOR EPILOGUE
Yes. All of this!
SophieAyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 18:04   #13
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieAyase View Post
Actually, something along the lines of Sarah Brightman's Symphony album would have worked really well imo! It's certainly not metal, but the concept was "gothic symphonic rock" or something to that effect.

You probably already know this, but Rihanna Pratchett said in an interview a while back that she'd originally intended for Lara to be gay, but didn't know if Square would go for it, so she didn't even attempt it and Dumbledored her instead. (No, I'm not bitter.)

I totally agree about the current logo being unspeakably generic, but "slab serif with a 'tomb'-y pattern fill" isn't exactly groundbreaking either. I think the Underworld-era logo was the best of the series, but assuming they wanted to get away from it to emphasize it was a reboot... I don't know, just anything with personality that didn't look cheap (like the awful US TLR logo).
Only just got round to seeing this. XD Searched for that track elsewhere and it didn't seem that effective, also vocals are a big no for game music so that may have skewed my opinion.

With the logo I think it should be a modernised/finessed classic EU logo.

It's still interesting to perform this thought experiment after the unification announcement. If 2013 leaned in a slightly more classic direction or at least ended up that way then a unification would have been redundant. I heard somewhere that CD wanted to do the reboot in place of Legend, but Eido$ wanted them to play it safe(r).
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 04:32   #14
HarleyCroft

Yay, music talk
This seems like a good place to brainstorm things, especially if another reboot is on the horizon, too

Symphonic metal is perhaps characterized by the electric guitars, as opposed to just symphony instruments? Maybe a touch in the rhythm section would be good for an action sequence on like a motorcycle. The same way the industrial influence worked well in the Kazakhstan lab tracks

I love that one because it also has horns and strings together It's also awesome when instruments of the areas Lara is exploring are used, the soundtrack is one of my favorite things about Shadow.

If I could describe Lara in a few words they would be quick, brunette and bodacious. That kind of describes what she should look like, I can't paint a specific word picture right now

The story should start pretty simple.. Lara wants an artifact and then complations happen. Fun, explosive complications. Remember when Lara never met Bartoli but they were trying to kill eachother the entire game anyways? The story unfolded perfectly as she had to travel to different locations.

As for characters, the only reoccurring character I've really liked was Winston, and that was especially when he kept his bullet-sponge mouth shut.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-22, 19:54   #15
Pelagius

Huh. Strange that _Seth never mentioned this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
I like the sound of this, generally, except for the unfortunate giving in to the Bury Your Gays trope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieAyase View Post
I'm... a little ambivalent on the topic of lesbian Lara. If TR is just an escapist power fantasy, I guess it's fine either way, but I'm not positive that LGBT representation is what's needed by modern society so much as reclaiming respect for motherhood. If you are trying to earn brownie points from the woke left, then killing off Sam at the end is a major no-no. "But Lara's alive!" will earn you no mercy.

I suggested in my own reboot thread that disambiguating Lara's motives and creating more scope for choice/agency is probably more important than ratcheting up the stakes per se- the reboot trilogy already suffers from Lara being effectively forced to do too many things. If Sam and Lara are an item I might have them run away to Mexico together in the next game, or some such- there are different ways for Lara to manifest escalating courage than by working up the nerve to kill her besty.

Quote:
2013 should have, IMO, played out as a level-after-level structure, similar to TR1-3, with backtracking and exploration within the levels themselves, but not in between levels. This does not mean less exploration, as each stage itself would be it's own fully explorable mini world. The game should feature levels with multiple paths, multi-tiered over-arching structures with animal enemies, reanimated statues, creatures and traps peppered about with their own keys and artefacts which can have their own lore behind them. Locations would include underground caverns, subterranean cities, desolate temples, dungeons, tombs and ruins. Rein in on documents whereby each time you find one, there can be a show-don't-tell kind of cutscene that tells whatever story there is. Instead of getting skill points for killing, each level can have 4 inscribed walls, which together complete a riddle pointing you to a hidden room. Upon finding this, there would be a scroll detailing ancient teachings (similar to Rise). Each skill would feel like something you'd truly earned, and there being 1 in most levels would mean there isn't an unnecessary overabundance.
I'm in two minds about this, since I think Yamatai's premise afford an opportunity for some interesting gameplay mechanics, but they probably won't generalise to later TR games once Lara gets off the island, maxxes out her skill tree and can freely travel the world. It depends on how much risk you want to take.
Pelagius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-22, 11:18   #16
SamCactus101

I got so much love for the reboot. It ain't perfect, the imperfections in the trilogy maybe could've been approached slightly differently but reboot Lara has grown so much on me I'd rather not disturb. I absolutely love the music in all games, they are unique and deeply emotional in their own way. I've found myself getting sentimental about the music, in all 3 three games. It's absolutely beautiful.

The way I would reimagine this series is to integrate the athletic skills Lara has learned in the comics. In between Rise and Shadow, in the comics (can't remember the name), Lara learns how to use her hearing to gain an advantage in combat especially in dark environments. And this was integrated in Shadow, where she has perception skills, although it's more related to sight than hearing. I'd love a combat approach that depended on hearing, it'd bring a unique approach to combat. And Lara has learned hand-to-hand which I wish would've been integrated into the games. I'd definitely incorporate this.

There was a survey done by a TR fan who revealed that most TR players wanted to see a more athletic Lara Croft and I can certainly agree to this. Seeing Lara Croft do her sexy badass stunts again would be awesome.
SamCactus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-22, 14:39   #17
Mokono

Quote:
Lara and Sam would be in a lesbian relationship which both their parents don't know about as they're posh and stuck up, but Roth being the cool uncle type knows and is cool with it and on their side. This relationship between Sam and Lara would be a twist revealed about a quarter into the game.
I'm really not a big fan of how mainstream media portrays same-sex relationships: it's either too sappy or mellow, or in your face, or too melodramatic, it lacks tact, subtlety and... It's just not my cup of tea.

Don't get me wrong, the lesbian relationship is a good idea, but i'd execute it in a different way: i'm more of a will they/won't they kind of relationship, with lots of witty banter (Lara's British after all), lots of tease and innuendo, sarcasm, foreplay, etc.

Quote:
It would be an extremely daring aspect to include and would show CD would have had balls of ****ing steel to implement. The stakes of Sam being kidnapped twice would be much higher (especially if both their characters are overhauled so they're actually likeable). There could be a backlash at making Lara a lesbian, but she was also somewhat ambiguous, but I would respect tremendously what a bold move it would be.
Or it would get them backlash à la Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, who were criticised by some for 'forcing' KorrAsami (not my case, as my yuri goggles were firmly on the whole time ). However, it is true that big media companies are capitalising on same-sex relationships, often times including same-sex couples in media to fill a token representation role.

Sometimes it's not even a good representation of a same-sex relationship, but rather an idealised, sanitised, heteronormative pastiche of a same-sex couple: safe for the consumption of the (mostly) heterosexual audiences, full of clichés and stereotypes. LGBTQIA+™ bottled up and ready for consumption, like some sort of wicked 'rainbow' capitalism.

Following on my prior idea, you could make the whole banter scenario blossom into a full official relationship, but after lots of work and good writing (as in, relationship drama doesn't steal screen time from the adventure). That i would find both bold AND wholesome.
Mokono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-22, 22:13   #18
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

If Tomb Raider: Ascension was ever in development from Crystal Dynamics then would you like the idea to play as Lara alone without that little child companion? I definitely would enjoy playing that way like all the rest of the other Tomb Raider games
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-22, 13:51   #19
SamCactus101

Hi guys, is there a thread where we can request mods for TR 2013?
SamCactus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-22, 16:14   #20
egypt_gypsie

Nope, sorry, you lost me at "lesbian relationship with Sam"...I hate Sam and her entire damsel in distress characterization, and honestly I don't want Lara in a relationship with anyone unless it is Kurtis.

And Lara being a lesbian doesn't fit with me (please don't come at me with homophobia or any other such nonsense, I have zero against LGBT), it just doesn't fit her character to me. She is either asexual or straight for me. And not even asexual, but just not interested in relationships. (Is there a word for that now?)
egypt_gypsie is offline   Reply With Quote