Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 27-10-19, 15:32   #1
TR-Freak
Unverified

Default You dont need to kill willard to exit the level

There was the rumor that you definitively need to kill willard to exit the last level.
But indeed you dont have to.
The crucial part is Collecting all 4 artifacts.
It deactivates the Meteorite which also triggers the door at the top.

https://streamable.com/9896r
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-19, 19:33   #2
Woops

This has been known for years.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-19, 19:48   #3
TR-Freak
Unverified

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDqQy_NxN0

it was known that you don't need to kill willard to escape to the top, but it wasnt known that you can actually complete the level without killing him.
Old 27-10-19, 20:00   #4
laravision

Being able to actually complete the level without killing Willard has also been known for some time.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho....php?p=7204956
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=207178
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-19, 20:24   #5
TR-Freak
Unverified

Interesting. I was searching for a thread like this but couldnt find it
Old 27-10-19, 20:34   #6
Ward Dragon
Golden

That's what I love about the classics -- even after all this time, there's always someone discovering something new that they didn't know before

If I ever knew about this save/load trick, I completely forgot it. It's very odd to see Willard still shooting at Lara during the escape part. My memory is fuzzy, but I thought the meteorite killed him when it fell. I guess not!

Also, I'm shocked that you were able to get that close to Willard (he even bumped Lara at one point). Whenever he got closer than about 1/4 of the circle, he always fried me with the lightning stuff. I remember frantically trying to keep on the opposite side of the circle at all times while I got the artifacts (and I ran off the edge into the goo quite a few times because I was watching Willard instead of the pathway XD)
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-19, 20:35   #7
Baslakor

This is quite cool and actually makes sense. Lara is just after the artifacts, not about saving the world. Without the artifacts Willard is just a big scary spider thing in a pit in the middle of Antarctica. It's kind of a big middle finger to Willard to leave him there all alone, harmless in the middle of nowhere. Love it!
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-19, 09:00   #8
TR-Freak
Unverified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
Also, I'm shocked that you were able to get that close to Willard (he even bumped Lara at one point). Whenever he got closer than about 1/4 of the circle, he always fried me with the lightning stuff. I remember frantically trying to keep on the opposite side of the circle at all times while I got the artifacts (and I ran off the edge into the goo quite a few times because I was watching Willard instead of the pathway XD)
Willard shoots the fireballs as soon as you step out of the circle (the white lines are basically the border)

The Fireballs aren't saved in the Savegame file (pretty much every particle effect isnt like fire emitters) just like the Cold bar in antarctica and RX-Tech mines.

Willard can also one-shot you if you have less than half your Health. So staying far away from him is a good tactic
Old 28-10-19, 14:59   #9
fallenangle

Interesting revisiting that old thread of mine (2014) ^^^^ laravision posted.

It is a tough job just getting out without killing Willard. Try it either way with just standard pistols, which I've done since then, and it'll drive you as mad as Willard but is doable.

It is pity though that without dropping the meteorite that gate is an impenetrable barrier.

Still I've always found the achievement of climbing the ladder and getting to relative safety the real challenge. I also rather like running around on top of the statues surrounding the walkway with Willard frustratedly trying to get LC from underneath.

He can still get her so you do need to be careful.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote