Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 23-02-19, 18:38   #401
Danath

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
That sounds very limiting how'd Core manage to make TR2 ?!!
Hope Arsunt fixes this soon. It would be such a relief for all TR2 builders.
Because Dxtre3D is unofficial, so those compiler errors with multiplied texinfos wouldn't exist for Core.
Take for example Barkhang Monastery, which is the biggest map in size. Its only using 1821 textures total ( you can see it opening the level in PixStr ). But if you tried to recreate it with Dxtre you wouldn't be able to, since you would end with much more than those 1821.

The first two maps in my Pyrenees set were intended to be one big map, but i had to split it into two because of too many textures. And you can bet it's simpler than Barkhang, but compiler gets in the way. Got mostly mediocre scores in graphics section on trle.net.
My Mystic Realm map was an absolute nightmare to make, had to make a seamless set of 4 rock textures and apply them without rotations... as rotations also count in Dxtre compiler. And on top of that, The Great Chi had to make me a modified guardian that reused textures so it wouldn't add more texinfos when used. Even with all that, if you check Mystic on PixStr you will see it's using 2046 texinfos, 2 shy from crashing.
In this game i'm making, the first Pescara map is using 2047 texinfos. And it's a city, so no rotations on the wall textures needed. Those new building textures i used are made seamless so i can place them without rotations.

I'm not bashing TurboPascal, who made Dxtre, he's still a legend for making that editor by himself. If it wasn't for him i wouldn't be here making levels for one of my favourite games.

Hopefully Arsunt doesn't get tired of working in TR2Main, he's already another legend for me. If you read this Arsunt, i love your work man.
If the texture limit would be doubled to 4096, which is the limit in TR3, that would be more than enough to let me finish this game.

Thewolf explained how textures are counted in one post on this thread, if you want to look at it: Compiler issues

Even if the worst thing happens, and Arsunt can't make the texture increase for TR2Main, i would study porting the game over to TombEditor+TR5Main. I'm not giving up until i burn every last possibility.
Danath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 20:35   #402
DaroRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
... as rotations also count in Dxtre compiler...
You mean that if you rotate a texture, the compiler take it as a new texture ID? If i don't misunderstand it.

I guess that if a texture is rotated or inverted in the dxtre3d scene, what the compiler does is change the vertex orders of the polygon to map the texture on the polygon, but it's SAME texture ID with a different mapping.

Last edited by DaroRaider; 23-02-19 at 20:40.
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 21:04   #403
Danath

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaroRaider View Post
You mean that if you rotate a texture, the compiler take it as a new texture ID? If i don't misunderstand it.
Yes, the exact same texture, when rotated, makes a new texture id.

Update: Something minor, but i have made another version of the doberman, the "red doberman" ( Pinscher ), to be used in the level.

It's not black, it's dark brown but it's a bit hard to see.

Trying to make the enemy base now, it's quite hard because i don't want to make the space too big but at the same time not too small. Also have to take into account the dimensions of the building's interiors and the tasks you must complete.
It will take quite a lot to make, i hate having to think in separate rooms. I end up doing a test in a separate project file, and when i find how i want the layout done then recreate it in the final version. I can't straight take the ideas to individual rooms on the fly.

Last edited by Danath; 24-02-19 at 23:22.
Old 26-02-19, 17:57   #404
Dustie

Small modification but nice.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-19, 20:20   #405
thewolf
Golden

Thumbs up

Nicely done Danath, you made a lot of progress the last weeks
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-19, 21:37   #406
Danath

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Small modification but nice.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Nicely done Danath, you made a lot of progress the last weeks
Thanks man, yeah i have most of the map done by now. 112 rooms.
Another success, i have the big base space almost completed and it's working. Also changed the guard tower texture to a better one, it looks more "climbable".

Old 27-02-19, 00:10   #407
PedroTheGamer

Quote:
Thanks man, yeah i have most of the map done by now. 112 rooms.
Another success, i have the big base space almost completed and it's working. Also changed the guard tower texture to a better one, it looks more "climbable".

Looking it Good.

Last edited by PedroTheGamer; 27-02-19 at 00:12.
PedroTheGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 02:37   #408
Danath

Exclamation Crisis avoided

Thanks Pedro.

I was panicking now as the game started to crash in a very specific room when riding the snowmobile. Turns out having many portal sectors and shapes is dangerous when mixing in the snowmobile! I've had to redesign that big outdoor room in a way i didn't want to, to avoid the crash, thankfully it's gone now.

Also, there's another weird error i'm having with the snowmobile. It can cross through those static fence objects i'm using! But Lara can't, what's the deal with that?? It looks awful when the vehicle can pass through a fence.
Old 27-02-19, 05:21   #409
thewolf
Golden

Lightbulb

Yeah, it is strange with the number of portals. But I think Core had the same problems with the snowmobile. In Tibetan Foothills Core didn't do much death holes. All vertical portals are large ones. Not many small portals. There is a number of max portals before the game crashes if you use the snowmobile. The snowmobile behaves like a baddie . You can just drive through any static, even some objects . You can try to raise the floor 3 clicks to prevent Lara reaching some places
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 16:13   #410
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
Also, there's another weird error i'm having with the snowmobile. It can cross through those static fence objects i'm using! But Lara can't, what's the deal with that?? It looks awful when the vehicle can pass through a fence.
Can you put a death strip in where the fence is. And put signs on the fence saying its a 50000 Volt electric fence

(or hidden water strip blows up the snowmobile, but you would need water room below, with no water texture on room above. Very sneaky )

Last edited by The Great Chi; 27-02-19 at 16:17.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote