Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 30-04-23, 22:48   #71
Kurtis6

I have suggested the PS2 version because of its improved gameplay.
Kurtis6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-23, 23:10   #72
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis6 View Post
I have suggested the PS2 version because of its improved gameplay.
Erm, I'm afraid I'm not quite understanding what is meant by "improved gameplay" here.

I'm assuming you mean the controls here. If so, then if we're talking about vanilla versions then yes. However, the controls have been refined in both Restoration Project and by extension the Definitive Edition, and are smoother than even the PS2 version at this point.

Regardless, the PS2 would not be able to handle many of the changes done here, at the very least not integrated as seamlessly.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-23, 10:00   #73
SLAYER

I played this a few weeks ago and didn't get around to posting my impressions.

I loved everything about it. The installer was great, the renders, the music, the rain, the ambiance, automating the EAX emulation stuff (I never bothered to try this before), controller setup... perfect! The rest of the presentation was also great, the new icons, new launcher screen, the manuals, HD fonts, the extras menu...

I'm truly impressed by the remastered FMVs and the remastered audio (loved the music at the church , and the news reports). Immersive mode is what the game should have shipped with.

The texture work is impeccable, and all the changes by the restoration project didn't go unnoticed. The notebook entries in particular help enrich the story more than ever. I love that we can finally use money, and I liked the weapons balance even though I didn't think I would.

This is the first time I've actually went and played the game thoroughly without debug mode on for more than 10 years. I was bummed out when the Cabal cutscene started. Please continue. AOD need this level of polish and attention to detail.

I only have 1 thing that I can't get over: "1 day ago". She clearly spent the 2nd day in the tombs under the louvre.
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-23, 10:21   #74
TRJTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER View Post
I played this a few weeks ago and didn't get around to posting my impressions.

I loved everything about it. The installer was great, the renders, the music, the rain, the ambiance, automating the EAX emulation stuff (I never bothered to try this before), controller setup... perfect! The rest of the presentation was also great, the new icons, new launcher screen, the manuals, HD fonts, the extras menu...

I'm truly impressed by the remastered FMVs and the remastered audio (loved the music at the church , and the news reports). Immersive mode is what the game should have shipped with.

The texture work is impeccable, and all the changes by the restoration project didn't go unnoticed. The notebook entries in particular help enrich the story more than ever. I love that we can finally use money, and I liked the weapons balance even though I didn't think I would.

This is the first time I've actually went and played the game thoroughly without debug mode on for more than 10 years. I was bummed out when the Cabal cutscene started. Please continue. AOD need this level of polish and attention to detail.

I only have 1 thing that I can't get over: "1 day ago". She clearly spent the 2nd day in the tombs under the louvre.
Wow thanks for these amazing compliments SLAYER! This is all we ever wanted to accomplish!

What 1 day ago do you mean exactly? Please elaborate.

Yes we will continue you can be sure of that!
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-23, 11:58   #75
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
Wow thanks for these amazing compliments SLAYER! This is all we ever wanted to accomplish!

What 1 day ago do you mean exactly? Please elaborate.

Yes we will continue you can be sure of that!
From the intro FMV. The "1 day earlier" text right at the beginning.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-23, 13:24   #76
TRJTA

I actually went as far as making a visual timeline with noted hours and times for the whole game to layout a time Schedule that's as logical as possible. I got it lying around at home. Here are the events that occur chronologically:

- Night: Lara is at Werner's, Werner gets killed, Lara flees, ends up at Carvier's apartment and then escapes that apartment. Shortly after Lara leaves Carviers apartment, Carvier gets killed by the Monstrum. Lara ends up finding a metro cart and sleeps there.
- Early morning: Lara wakes up in the metro cart and does all the Parisian ghetto stuff. This takes a few hours. Her exploding out of the pipe would then be somewhere at the end of the morning. The newscasts here mention Carvier being killed as the most recent victim.
- Afternoon: Lara prepares for entering the Louvre: buys clothing, researches the map, finds the entrance, has some food or whatever, etc.
- Evening: 9 pm, Lara enters Louvre Storm Drains, at this point it's not fully dark yet but dusk is setting in.
- Around 10 pm Lara would enter the Louvre, in april its dark by this time. So this is really just after it has gotten dark.
- Late evening, first hours of the night until about 0-1 am or something: Lara enters the Hall of Seasons and comes back out. During this whole time period no sudden jump in location is made: the player constantly plays and follows Lara real time. So the gameplay time (just a few hours) is real time.
- 0-1 am: Lara escapes the Louvre and drives to Werner's apartment. This is where the prologue fmv occurs, so that means that the night Werner got killed is exactly 1 day before this (1 night earlier).
- As Werner's apartment level is very short too it would be around 1-2 am when she takes the jeep and starts driving to Prague.
- Lara reaches Prague in the morning. Though it's a snowy and overcast morning. This is why the PS2 level has a brighter sky: it's how the level was intended. Inspecting the raw texture of the skybox also reveals it's a daytime texture. Also the window puzzle in Vasileys place is literally a puzzle with a light beam. And of course at night there isn't enough bright light for this. This also explains how "suddenly" the Starhov Fortress shows daylight coming through the windows. It actually is day already. Also the BRF shows daylight through the greenhouse etc.
- The rest of the game is also set during the day or possible until the evening.

So from the start of the timeline until the end of the game only takes place within a 2 day time span.

Last edited by TRJTA; 19-05-23 at 13:26.
Old 22-06-23, 13:23   #77
tonyme

Hi all - I downloaded this, and tried to play it with the settings suggested in the manual, however Lara's movements are VERY slow. The textures look great, though. Is there a way to fix this? (I have the Steam version)
tonyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-23, 10:21   #78
JoelCaesar

Sorry to be a pain but is there any way the download can be hosted on google drive or something similar? My estimated download time for the project is about 12 hours for both mirrors.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-23, 12:14   #79
TRJTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyme View Post
Hi all - I downloaded this, and tried to play it with the settings suggested in the manual, however Lara's movements are VERY slow. The textures look great, though. Is there a way to fix this? (I have the Steam version)
Sounds like your PC is just not fast enough. I recon the game is very stuttery too then? The only thing that van be done is either lowering ghe graphics settings or but a new PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
Sorry to be a pain but is there any way the download can be hosted on google drive or something similar? My estimated download time for the project is about 12 hours for both mirrors.
Hmmm thats annoying. Its quite hard to find free cloud space with fast download speeds for such large files. I will have a look soon to see if there's any other I can find.

Last edited by TRJTA; 24-06-23 at 12:16.
Old 26-06-23, 05:50   #80
NicNamSam

Fantastic job and very simple installation process. I did have an issue though. It seems like the installer is forced to use the C drive during installation regardless of where the initial files were placed or where the intended installation destination is. I didn't have enough space on my C drive so I couldn't install it on my other drive which has plenty of space. Clicking the other drive in the installation wizard, which it calls an "unused drive" does nothing. So I had to delete some things on my C drive to make enough space just to install the definitive edition from my E drive to my E drive.

But overall, it is a very professional-quality job, well-done.

I know this is a combination of projects, but I will just leave my future desires for modifications (if possible) here for now, but if there is a better place for these types of suggestions, let me know:

Controls:

- Remove the delay between when Lara stops moving forward and then turns

- Add independent sidestep buttons (A/D) like TR 1, 4, and 5 and then an option to rotate while holding Walk instead of sidestep

- Reverse the left/right movement direction when moving backwards to match TR 1-5. When standing or moving forward, left will make you face left, so when going backwards, left should make you face left.

- Separate the Sprint and Look keys.

- Remember the setting that is chosen between camera-relative controls and tank controls after quitting the game

- IDK somehow fix/adjust the mouselook? It is WEIRD, especially with left/right movement.

- Add option to require pressing Up+Action to vault over things, crawl roll off ledges, and grab ladders instead of just Up

- Walk + Roll = Quickturn?

- Reduce the distance covered by the gallop backwards so that it can be used to quickly set up maximum-length jumps like TR 1-5.

- Add option to require holding Action to grab and continue holding ledges, like TR 1-5

- Customize Quicksave. Quickload, and inventory buttons and be able to use the Action button to select things in the menus

- Am I the only one that can't successfully enable the "enable weapons while hugging walls" patch in the AOD Patcher by Reborninshadows?

Visuals:

- Replace even more text with the themed font instead of the boring sans-serif font

- Remove the drop shadow from text that looks like it is supposed to be written in the notebook and make it darker

- (I saw this in the preview on the website) Make the graveyard less bright and green to match the original vibe

Other:

- Remember the place you were last looking in the notebook so you don't have to start from page 1 every time.

- I don't think it's intentional that you can "use" the pawn shop guy's wallet that contains the door code because when you do, it disappears.

- Also, Lara sets the passports down but still has them afterwards.

I don't really know what is possible to fix/add, but these are the major issues I have encountered.

Last edited by NicNamSam; 30-06-23 at 19:30.
NicNamSam is offline   Reply With Quote