www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 25-06-22, 13:55   #19701
PinkyPromise
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessThunder View Post
That's not always the case.. *cough* Daisy Ridley *COUGH*. She was unknown before Star Wars, appearing only in small commercials.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...tar-wars.html/

If they wanted someone popular they would have went ahead with Meagan Fox or Olivia Wilder, or someone just as famous.

It's clear that they saw potential in Alicia. It's no one's fault that COVID happened.
It's Star Wars! It is a successful film franchise and they can bet on unknown faces... No one is going to go see Star Wars to watch actors!

They had to look for someone who could be compared to Angelina Jolie (Oscar winner) and Alicia was the best choice (she had just won an Oscar and she was popular then). But Alicia has simply lost popularity in recent years and she has not ended up becoming a movie star.

Denying that if Alicia Vikander were now as famous as Scarlett Johanson or Margot Robbie we would now have TR2 much faster is trying to deny the obvious

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 25-06-22 at 14:00.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-22, 20:11   #19702
Rai

You're talking like she's gone to complete obscurity. Success isn't always about how many blockbuster movies you can do, neither is talent. Alicia has been working steadily since - except for when she couldn't due to the pandemic and pregnancy. As I said before, Alicia strikes me as an actress who doesn't strive for universal popularity. Is she not in blockbuster movies because no one is casting her or because she's not auditioning for those roles? If MGM and Amazon want to finance TR2/ Obsidian, I'm pretty sure Alicia having been Lara in the 2018 movie would not stop them, they'd just hire that Hollywood star and get on with it. Somehow, I don't think Alicia is what's been stopping them. If there's still a sequel being considered or whatever is going on. You seem to be forgetting that the sequel was green lit quite soon after the 2018 movie, was almost filming when the pandemic hit. That suggests they still had faith in Alicia in 2020, only 2 years ago. Also, you're kinda diminishing her role in 2018, like it was only because she had an oscar. I'm certain there were other more 'popular' actresses out there when she was hired.

Last edited by Rai; 25-06-22 at 21:13.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-22, 21:21   #19703
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Also, you're kinda diminishing her role in 2018, like it was only because she had an oscar. I'm certain there were other more 'popular' actresses out there when she was hired.
My thoughts exactly! But of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-22, 01:14   #19704
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Tomb Raider doesn't need a popular star to be a successful movie. That's the easy way out that a lot of studios use when writing isn't their strong suit. For example the entire Fast and Furious film franchise. Absolutely no one is looking at those movies as the pinnacle of modern day story telling. What's great about Alicia not being super popular, is that more effort has to be put into the actual project instead of having some big actress attached to something that she's just there to promote with her presence. (Not to say that all big budgeted films are half assed) I think with Misha's writing skills she can actually put more into a TR film than what we've seen already. I really hope this project moves forward bcuz everything I've been hearing about Alicia in the Live Experience sounds so exciting
Old 28-06-22, 06:24   #19705
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

If they replace Alicia Vikander with someone else I'm out honestly.

At first I was not convinced when they announced her but after seeing the movie I love her so so much as Lara Croft !

Also I don't want the movie franchise to be rebooted a third time... it's too soon.

If it's been too long since TR1 to make a direct sequel because of age or whatever than make it happen long after TR1. But please keep Alicia Vikander. I want to see more of her as Lara Croft !
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 19:34   #19706
Not_a_Mutant
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Would Lara being recast be that bad?
Honestly if it's either get a sequel with Alicia or wait until the next reboot.. I would be willing to be patient
Not really, it depends on how much Alicia's Lara has to offer. Ideally, at least two movies for each Lara, like AJ, Alicia deserves her sequel.

I'm all for a "James Bond" route for TR, different interpretations (realistic/supernatural, gritty/funny, young Lara/classic Lara, etc.) with different actresses. As long as the bases of the character are respected and that they don't cast WILL SMITH in a wig to play Lara, or something like that.

I'm not sure if that's what most fans want tho, I personally don't care about "multiverses" and franchises so I don't need ONE actress in an endless "hit" TR franchise like " Fast and the Fourious" or the MCU..

Last edited by Not_a_Mutant; 02-07-22 at 19:38.
Not_a_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 20:01   #19707
Not_a_Mutant
Hobbyist

Without a super famous actress, TR should be planned as a "sleeper hit"

I'm not into film making, but I'm pretty sure they can make a good movie on a smaller budget, they need great photography to capture the beauty of the world with its natural landscapes and lost ruins, and I guess the most tricky are the jump scenes and sets pieces.

Apocalypto with all the recreation of Mayan temples, jungle action, jumping waterfalls?) and even a killer jaguar plus heavy makeup used a 40mm budget in 2006, now it's less than 60mm. Ok, a mostly unknow cast.

Here's a behind the scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCBmf_JhVV8
Not_a_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-22, 16:35   #19708
Rai

Are we sure we're not waiting for the Embracer deal to finalise? I know MGM/GK Films have the film rights, but they still would have had a deal with Square Enix as franchise owners, wouldn't they? With TR going to Embracer, would they need to wait until it has a settled home, so-to-speak? I don't know how it all works.
Old 08-07-22, 23:53   #19709
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

There's a lot of Ifs and buts involved right now it doesn't seem like the necessary alignments have been made to move forward just yet. It really seems to just be the case of wait and see what happens.

I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst unfortunately.

I do think that they are running the challenge of having left it a bit long for a sequel with Alicia.

Perhaps they should maybe revisit it after five or so years have past before their next attempt depending on how successful the anime and new game is recieved.

Ofcourse I'd prefer we got another film with Alicia and hope it all lines up but Misha and Alicia's schedules aren't gonna stay open forever and they need to work in the meantime.

I hope if Alicia doesn't pursue anymore Lara films that she'll atleast book a big action blockbuster for herself in a big franchise role because she deserves it with the dedication she put in to get in shape and the physicality of Lara. I could see her fitting in well as a Marvel or DC heroine.
Old 09-07-22, 01:58   #19710
beencroft
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Are we sure we're not waiting for the Embracer deal to finalise?
That’s what I was thinking as well… I personally feel like that could be a reason for the delay. There’s just been so much changes going on for a while with everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
I hope if Alicia doesn't pursue anymore Lara films that she'll atleast book a big action blockbuster for herself in a big franchise role because she deserves it with the dedication she put in to get in shape and the physicality of Lara. I could see her fitting in well as a Marvel or DC heroine.
There’s been quite a few rumors I’ve seen that Alicia is one of Warner Bros choices for the future Zatanna film. That would be amazing if she got the role. I just want the best for her. That’s if she wants to do it anyways, since she’s down for smaller projects mostly.

I’ve also heard that Black Canary could start filming next spring, so Misha is definitely done with writing that. There’s no director and I wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up directing it. With the delay of Tomb Raider, I think she’s not busy with any other projects. It’s a shame for us, but I love Black Canary too.
beencroft is offline   Reply With Quote