www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 29-11-20, 02:37   #3421
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian View Post
TombEditor can compile levels for specific engine targets, but that doesn't mean it can outright mod the games themselves (by modding, it is understood that not only you can change level data, but also modify the script values in the retail script.dat). At this point you're working with already compiled files. TE can't just decompile and create a functional level project from those. You can use some third party programs to extract the geometry (and perhaps texturing, not sure) to use as a base so you don't need to start from scratch.

On a second note, there are small, but significant differences between retail tomb4.exe and the TRLE tomb4.exe, such as the way sound samples are processed (iirc TR4 compresses them further to save more memory, while TRLE doesn't, or maybe it's the other way around, I don't remember). So neither the level files (.tr4) nor the .exe can be used interchangably between these versions.

And the same goes for other games (1, 2, 3, 5). You can compile levels for specific engines, but you can't just mod the game (assuming the same definition of "modding" as above).

Edit: TombIDE works with TRNG in mind. It doesn't allow you to manage other kinds of projects, for those you must used the old fashioned methods of changing things in notepad.
So a level extracted from TR4 with something like tr2prj, repaired to be exactly the same as the retail version, some adjustments made, then recompiled with Tomb Editor wont work due to the differences in .tr4 formats?

Same for the Script.dat? If it's recompiled with the original TR4 script (which was leaked on here some time ago), that won't work either if it's just dropped into the TR4 folder?

I've seen mods that replace objects working fine, was rather hoping that the levels could be changed and the script updated too.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-20, 04:07   #3422
Woops
Archaeologist

^ I don't know about script.dat, but for the levels, it's not possible to build .tr4 levels compatible with The Last Revelation engine, even if ripped with tr2prj or anything.
For object mods, the tools used for those work on already compiled levels, and just edit the object data (or whatever is modded)- TE builds the levels from the ground up, so whatever the map you have, say Cambodia from TR4, you can build it to any engine TE supports.
But as it was mentioned earlier TE doesn't support building levels for The Last Revelation engine.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-20, 04:47   #3423
Boobandie
Professor

That's a shame, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-20, 22:03   #3424
Morgau
Hobbyist

Something that has bothered me lately about TE: when I'm texturing a room, the red triangle on the texture selection panel sometimes changes direction on its own, and I have to rotate the selection so the 90 corner is again turned to the top left...it's not a big issue, but it's so annoying! Is it a feature or is it a bug??
Morgau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-20, 19:47   #3425
HaniHeger
Historian

hey any updates from Tomb Editor?
Old 30-11-20, 22:52   #3426
AkyV

There is an update thread. Just follow it.
AkyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-20, 23:38   #3427
HaniHeger
Historian

since there was no new versions in last months I was wondering how things are going? Like any comment and what is being worked on but if there is nothing that's okay
Old 01-12-20, 00:47   #3428
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

tr5main
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 08:14   #3429
TR-Freak
Relic Hunter

We were developing a statistics layout. It will show the amount of objects,statics lights,boxes and vertices/polygons in a level. There will be a more accurate lighting in editor for TR3 and TR4,too. There some bugs that need to be fixed. after that we will prpbably release a new version
Old 01-12-20, 12:12   #3430
Joey79100
Professor

And real display of transparency on objects in editor too.

But you shouldn't expect any more updates for now until TR5Main comes. If new updates appear, it will mostly be bug fixing or small features.