www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 16-10-15, 20:07   #1
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Arrow Two big discoveries/videos and six lesser discoveries/videos

Well, at least to me two of these videos/discoveries are big, whereas the others are not so much but I'd still be grateful for any feedback.

Eight videos/discoveries in total and I'm sharing them in order starting from the ones that are most important to me. There is text below each video.

You Can Collect Some Savegame Crystals Twice:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP-faQ3K6eI

It is possible to encounter Inactive Savegame Crystals and if you do encounter an Inactive Savegame Crystal, then it's actually possible to collect the Savegame Crystal twice and gain two for the price of one.

You have to begin by reaching a Savegame Crystal without activating it; so you have to reach the Savegame Crystal while it's inactive. You then have to pick it up by going over to it and pressing action; you then pick it up as if it were a normal pick up. This counts and adds a Savegame Crystal to your inventory. To then obtain the Crystal again, you have to go to the Crystal's active point. This will make the flashing blue animation appear, even though the Savegame Crystal isn't there. If you then run over to where the Savegame Crystal should be, then you obtain it again even though it technically isn't there and was obtained by you while it was inactive. So if you can make it to a Savegame Crystal while it's inactive and pick it up and then activate it and return to it, you can help yourself to two Savegame Crystals for the price of one.

Do The Flamethrower Guys Go After The Giant Mutants?:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkLftv0PxvQ

In this level, RX-Tech Mines, Tomb Raider 3, we are assisted by some Flamethrower Guys who kill the Crawling Mutants for us. However, from playing around, I have gathered a fair bit of evidence to believe that the Flamethrower Guys may also go after the Giant Mutants.

There is an area in which I allow the Flamethrower Guy to kill several Mutants and he then stands still as if he has no interest in anything. I then repeat this but I also leave alive a Crawling Mutant just before the area where the Flamethrower Guy features. After killing the Mutants, he then heads over to the area where the Crawling Mutant is, as if he's trying to go there. When I then kill the Mutant, the Flamethrower Guy looks like he's then trying to leave, as if he has no interest in the area. This is very different to before as he didn't go anywhere near there when there wasn't a Mutant but it looks like he tried to go there when there was.

I then repeat things again but this time I kill the Crawling Mutant but manage to get a Giant Mutant down there. The Flamethrower Guy's behaviours are then identical to when it was the Crawling Mutant down there; he killed the Mutants but again headed to the area where the Giant Mutant was, like he was trying to get there. I then killed the Giant Mutant and again it was as if the Flamethrower Guy was trying to leave, like he had no interest.

Do you think the Flamethrower Guys go after the Giant Mutants?

Lost City Of Tinnos Secret Shortcut/Alternative:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPGzoUxiuTg

I've not seen this before, and if this isn't known then this could really come in handy in Lost City Of Tinnos, Tomb Raider 3. The secret I show you shouldn't be reachable without a block which you have to go to the Earth Area in order to be able to release. However, I show a way of reaching the secret without the block; I show a way of getting up there by doing a Crawl Bug which enables you to just jump to where the secret is. I would say that this is quicker than the usual way and certainly safer. There is also a new discovery where you can do the whole of the level without needing the Uli Key or the Masks; there is a Skip Trigger which enables you to just go straight to the end of the level. This method to the secret will combine brilliantly with this new discovery if someone was to attempt a Secrets Speedrun for this level; the secret in question gets badly effected by the Skip Trigger but this method saves the day for reasons mentioned in the video. The other two secrets are not effected so this one is the crucial one.

One Less Gunman To Deal With In Antarctica:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNot3ckveOI

Here I show a basic Skip Trigger in Antarctica, Tomb Raider 3. The Skip Trigger stops a Gunman from spawning and also stops one of the machines from switching on, though this appear not to serve a useful purpose. I'm not sure how much use this would be of since Speedrunners usually don't go in this area as they either do the level without the Speedboat or use faster methods of getting there. But I suppose this could be of assistance in No Kills Runs or No Damage Runs.

RX-Tech Mines Secret Alternative:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQycNV3sbn8

Anyone who knows about the third secret in RX-Tech Mines will know about the proper path which takes you to it. There are alternatives to reaching the secret, the first one being the one that I show first in this video. This is well known and used by many speedrunners, but it also costs quite a bit of health. The second method I show is one I've not seen before and doesn't cost health and is possibly quicker than the standard route and defiantly safer. Trying to make all of the jumps can be risky at times. This method is slower than the first method shown but is more efficient with the health. I might not recommend this over the faster route but would recommend it over the standard route.

The Flaws Of Aldwych:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLxDMg8wkbk

I can't deny loving this level, but I also can't deny some obvious flaws. In this video I demonstrate how the slope just before the Drill Room magically changes from being slippery to not being slippery. Also, the Drill falls significantly below where it appears to have fallen when you return to the room the second time around. The ability to walk on top of the Drill appears to not exist the first time around even though you're dependant on it the second time around. The Drill also shows as being a lot lower than it should be if you go there for the second time but then backtrack to the area underneath.

You Don't Need To Shoot The Damned In Order For Them To Attack You:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkpE3tEu0mc

In Lud's Gate, Tomb Raider 3, it is well known that shooting the Damned will result in them attacking you. But it also seems that shooting in itself will result in them attacking you, even if you didn't shoot them. I thought this was strange and worth sharing.

Are You Going To Stand For This, Mr Soldier?:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2OX99m52vc

Some weird behaviours in Crash Site, Tomb Raider 3. The Soldier randomly stands motionlessly on the spot while the Raptor happily munches at him. How weird.
Old 16-10-15, 20:59   #2
Saint Sophie
Archaeologist

Nice!

Where are them Shiva vids then?
Saint Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-15, 21:09   #3
tlr online
Administrator

Great thread idea.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-15, 21:12   #4
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Sophie View Post
Nice!

Where are them Shiva vids then?
Thanks.

What Shiva vids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
Great thread idea.
Thank you.

Last edited by Greenapple968; 16-10-15 at 21:14.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-15, 21:13   #5
Saint Sophie
Archaeologist

Oh nvm lol
Saint Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-15, 02:23   #6
_KC_
Historian

I really enjoyed these discoveries.

I never noticed that the flamethrower guys don't ever spawn in the same place as the big mutants. I wonder why they decided to keep them from seeing each other?

It really shows how basic the AI is, seeing that guy stand still until an (any) enemy spawns. Not to mention the commando in Crash Site getting his face chomped!

Cool videos, though! You clearly love classic Tomb Raider a lot, perhaps even as much as me.

Keep it up mate.
Old 17-10-15, 07:18   #7
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

Crawling mutant has a special animation for being attacked by the flamethrower guys, the large mutant has no such animation, and I don't think the flamethrower guys are coded to actually deal damage to enemies, just kill the crawlers in a scripted way.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-15, 13:47   #8
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Cool...

The Aldwich one obviously was done for gameplay reason so Lara could backtrack the 2nd time around.

The 1st time was to set off the trap so she couldn't just run back up the slope - walk on the top of the drill and bypass half the level

But yeah, this strikes me as odd - as Lara could have jumped up the slope anyway.

And as for it being in two places as once - they are two seperate objects. one is the trap which kills her - and the other is just an object she can walk on. They forgot to make the lower 'damage' drill disappear when they 'swapped' the room above.. which is why there is double.

Last edited by dcw123; 17-10-15 at 13:53.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-15, 16:13   #9
peeves
Sage

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

Nice idea. I knew about the inactive save crystal one the alternative way of getting secret in RX-Tech mines and tinnos and the end of the level trigger early in tinnos. Speaking of the inactive save crystals i got 18 of them while inactive ie 1 in coastal village, 5 in thames wharf, 4 in aldwych, 4 in lud's gate, 2 in RX-Tech Mines, and 2 in tinnos.

Last edited by peeves; 17-10-15 at 16:14.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-15, 16:30   #10
Patrick Shannon
Explorer

Great stuff, Greenapple! I love it when we poke and prod and twist the classics, until they give up their hidden quirks!

Last edited by Patrick Shannon; 17-10-15 at 16:35.
Patrick Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote