Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 22-04-20, 14:51   #29771
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I've been longing for a good implementation of a Mayan pyramid ever since I saw that background decoration pyramid in Underworld's Mexico , and Shadow got me really excited because of how much it used and interjected pyramids in the promotion , hell one of the early logos had a pyramid instead of the "A"s .
Could be a running gag at this state, even Legend was showing one in one of its commercial haha

Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-20, 19:30   #29772
Raider8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Could be a running gag at this state, even Legend was showing one in one of its commercial haha
Whoah. Even Legend had pyramid In its TVC. They've played us lol. Even i don't consider the ones in shadow as proper pyramids like the trailer had. They tease the location of the next game in every game's last scene and this time we had a drawing of lara with her family with a dino and a pyramid beside them. What if the next game is set in a pyramid-less egypt. Damn!...
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-20, 21:22   #29773
tomee

Has anyone been able to break the outfit restriction yet either via glitches that work on the up to date patch or using some sort of trainer?
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-20, 22:25   #29774
VictorXD

So for the first time ever, I've finally been able to play the Uncharted series. Finished the first one and right now I'm at Shambala in the second game.

And honestly, I have to take my hat off for CD. The reboot combat is honestly so much better and more fun. They basically took what Uncharted did well and made it better, I'm impressed.

Also, I love how the game is made so that brain dead people can play it yet its not yet a white ledges galore like everything CD did. Just goes to prove how little effort they had when making platforming. Shame EM is probably not coming back for the next game.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-20, 10:55   #29775
Amunet

^It's funny, it seems to be a popular opinion here on the forum that the Reboot's combat is better and more fun than Uncharted's, but I just can't see it. I always feel engaged in UC's combat while in the reboot's I always feel bored, like it's a chore to go through those sections. Shadow not so much, because I think it improved that, but even still, comparing it to UC4, I much preferred the latter.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-20, 11:32   #29776
Linoshi Croft

Tomb Raider's combat is much more versatile than Uncharted's, which is why I think people prefer it and find it more fun. Throughout most of Uncharted's life it's been nothing but a basic cover shooter and nothing really else, which IMO gets boring pretty quick. In it's defence Uncharted 4 made some nice improvements, but Tomb Raider still gives the player more to play around with.

On a semi-related note, the combat system in Shadow is so bizarre. Rise's combat built on Tomb Raider's and perfected it IMO. Then Shadow comes along and strips out a lot of things for the stealth system. I'll never understand this as they could of just built on what was already there rather than remove things. All the animations etc. were already there, so it' just bizarre to me. You could argue that the stealth focus makes a lot of it superfluous, but they didn't strip out all the combat skills and weapon crafting even though it was completely pointless.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-20, 11:58   #29777
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
^It's funny, it seems to be a popular opinion here on the forum that the Reboot's combat is better and more fun than Uncharted's, but I just can't see it. I always feel engaged in UC's combat while in the reboot's I always feel bored, like it's a chore to go through those sections. Shadow not so much, because I think it improved that, but even still, comparing it to UC4, I much preferred the latter.
I agree with this. Weapons aside, I find combat a lot more interesting and fun in UC compared to the reboot games. In the reboot Lara goes into the crouch position and you just have to sit behind cover and pop out to shoot people.

But in Uncharted although you can still sit behind cover, I much prefer being locked to it and sliding to each side, peaking out and shooting. Not only that but you can blind-fire from cover or as you're running too. You also have hand to hand combat which is more interesting but you can also mix it up... blind-fire a guy whilst running at him and then punch him when you reach him. You can pull down enemies, or kick them off platforms or jump from on top of them. You can do a couple of these things in the reboot too, but I think there's a lot more variation in UC.

However I'd prefer Tomb Raider go back to the more acrobatic style of combat... using rolls, flips and kicks to liven up the combat rather than cover based.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-20, 12:45   #29778
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft View Post
I've just stumbled on something rather interesting, which may suggest the story had changes right up until when the game went gold.

Watch the behind the scenes of this scene and skip to 8:30.

Lara doesn't say that here in the final release. This is revealed much later on in the game in San Juan. Personally, I think it makes more sense to reveal something like this earlier on. Either way Trinity killed Richard to reveal it was Amaru just seems like a small detail rather than a big reveal to me.
They said originally the revelation was supposed to happen in the beggining of the game but that was changed.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-20, 14:22   #29779
Linoshi Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
They said originally the revelation was supposed to happen in the beggining of the game but that was changed.
I think it should of happened there tbh. It's such a unnecessary climax point in the story. It feels like it's meant to be much bigger and more impactful than it actually is.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-20, 15:38   #29780
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft View Post
I think it should of happened there tbh. It's such a unnecessary climax point in the story. It feels like it's meant to be much bigger and more impactful than it actually is.
Right??? While I loved the cutscene and how Lara was totally white people probleming there, the reveal is so ????? It's like, bitch this is the big boss bitch CEO of Trinity, how am I supposed to feel surprised about him being the one responsible for Richard's death? He literally calls all the shots.

The thing that surprised me the most though is that Dominguez personally knew Richard, but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
I agree with this. Weapons aside, I find combat a lot more interesting and fun in UC compared to the reboot games. In the reboot Lara goes into the crouch position and you just have to sit behind cover and pop out to shoot people.
That's exactly why you find it boring then
The idea behind reboot's combat has always been to not stay still behind cover, but to move around a lot, devs have been saying that since 2012. And the more you move and the more you keep changing between styles the more fun it gets. Like using rope arrows to pull bad guys to their death, going up close and personal with a shotgun, burning down people, or using dirt to blind enemies while you evade and then cracking their skull open with an axe, using bushes to hide, jumping on bad guys from bigger heights, poisoning them. The possibilities are endless.

Funnily enough, what you mentioned is exactly my problem with Uncharted. Besides blind fire and an interesting hand to hand system, there really isn't much going for it.

Quote:
But in Uncharted although you can still sit behind cover, I much prefer being locked to it and sliding to each side, peaking out and shooting. Not only that but you can blind-fire from cover or as you're running too. You also have hand to hand combat which is more interesting but you can also mix it up... blind-fire a guy whilst running at him and then punch him when you reach him. You can pull down enemies, or kick them off platforms or jump from on top of them. You can do a couple of these things in the reboot too, but I think there's a lot more variation in UC.

However I'd prefer Tomb Raider go back to the more acrobatic style of combat... using rolls, flips and kicks to liven up the combat rather than cover based.
Besides blind fire, shooting while running and a QTE based hand to hand combat, TR has literally much more options though.

And I want acrobacies to come back too. Back then I used to think that TR2013's sequels would eventually progress into more acrobatic Lara-ish stuff because of the scramble and whatnot... but we all know how that turned out. I just know that I definitely don't want auto aim to return ever again.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote