Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 13-01-21, 09:55   #1
Passalaqua

Angry Tomb Raider 4 Keyboard Configurartion Issues on PC

Hi,

So recently been playig through all the Classic Tomb Raider games on PC (Steam Versions)for the first time, after playing them all on the PS1 as a kid. At first I thought it would be a challenge to control on a keyboard but i have input my own keyboard config that works brilliantly.

That is until i get to TR4. For some reason this game is an absolute nightmare to set up properly. Firstly, unlike the last 3 games, TR4 resets my config everytime i reset the game, making me input them again. This is frustrating, but is only really a minor issue as it only takes me 2 mins or so to inut them again. I could deal with this.

The real issue however is much worse. The game for some reason decides that, once you have changed the default keybindings to your own, that it will use your keybindings AND the default ones simultaneously. For instance i change the alt key to walk ( Alt is jump by default) and it still jumps. I have begrudgeingly tried lots of different configurations to try to find one that works but alas i have been unsuccessful. This is incredibly frustrating as it is practically making the game unplayable for me (I cant walk at all). I even bought the GOG version after being told it was alot better, and that has the exact same issues.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue before, or know a fix for it? I've trawled google for answers, and people have posted about this issue before on steam and various forumsl, but nobody has ever seemed to get a fix. I want to play some of the TRLE's after i finish so it's really essential i get TR4 working smoothly. This is one of the most infuriating technical issues i have ever had with a video game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Passalaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 11:35   #2
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Welcome to the forum. Someone should be along soon with some advice.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 12:06   #3
UroshUchiha

I posted a similar thread about this a while back but nothing really came out of it.
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=220830

Also made a thread how in TRV you can no longer use number keys to draw out weapons and I was not a fan of that but oh well.
UroshUchiha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 12:32   #4
Wooxman

In my experience all of the classic TR games will always use the default keybindings together with your custom ones, even TR I-III.

But anyway, did you consider trying to play these games with a controller? TR IV has native controller support and on top of that Steam allows you to rebind your controller buttons independently of the game settings and even lets you bind keyboard keys to controller buttons which is really handy since the classic TRs always use the left analogue stick for movement control which IMO is horrible with tank controls.

Here's an article that explains how to do that: https://www.howtogeek.com/234427/how...am-controller/
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 12:34   #5
TombHackR
Golden

If it comes to it, I’m sure there’s software out there that can externally remap keys for games. So when pressing the alt key on your keyboard, the game will interpret that as the shift key so you will walk.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 11:30   #6
Passalaqua

well that sucks. I will have to see about hooking up m xbox controller. Thanks for the help anyway guys, much appreciated!
Old 14-01-21, 20:06   #7
Passalaqua

Ok so a little follow up. I have connected my xbox one controller to my PC and am now trying to use it to play TR4. However now i have run into another issue. The controller is working no problem on my PC, i have found a nice configuration on the controller settings on the TR4 page. However i am lost as to how i actually enable this in game? I boot up the game, go into options and then into control configuration but it will only allow me to slect keyboard or joystick?

Any help with this would be amazing, feel like i am on the cusp of finally sorting this mess out!

thanks
Old 14-01-21, 20:24   #8
CircusBabysGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passalaqua View Post
Ok so a little follow up. I have connected my xbox one controller to my PC and am now trying to use it to play TR4. However now i have run into another issue. The controller is working no problem on my PC, i have found a nice configuration on the controller settings on the TR4 page. However i am lost as to how i actually enable this in game? I boot up the game, go into options and then into control configuration but it will only allow me to slect keyboard or joystick?

Any help with this would be amazing, feel like i am on the cusp of finally sorting this mess out!

thanks
A joystick counts as a controller.
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 21:22   #9
Passalaqua

Hi,

I did try this originally and assumed it wasnt the right setting as nothing worked.

I have now gone back on and tried again and when i select joystick it does pick up my controller but i can only use left joystick on my controller to move up and down the menu. Everything else on the controller (D pad, buttons, triggers etc) does nothing even though i have them all configured.

At least i have made a little progress haha

thanks
Old 14-01-21, 21:47   #10
TombHackR
Golden

Rather than trying to get TR4 to directly use your Xbox controller, perhaps try using Xpadder to bind the Xbox buttons to their keyboard equivalents.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote