Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 18-12-20, 12:10   #1
PinkyPromise

Default Would you like a Tomb Raider with an artistic style similar to Zelda?

Tomb Raider is a game that has currently gone for a very photorealistic style.

It's great to see so much realism but we've lost things along the way...

Imagine a Tomb Raider with an artistic style similar to Zelda Breath of wild:

-A cartoon / anime Lara Croft would allow recover her classic appearance
-The scenarios could be very beautiful and the tombs full of fantasy.
-Focus in Bigger puzzles and many platforms
-Something new and fresh

Opinions?

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 18-12-20 at 12:12.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 12:29   #2
Los Angeles
Inactive

No.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 12:53   #3
Jamise_Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
No.
agreed
Jamise_Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 13:00   #4
Wooxman

I'm all for getting rid of the "realistic" art style. It's not even that special anymore. So many modern AAA games look exactly the same because of "realistic" graphics. Recently I saw a clip of Day's Gone and thought that it was from TLOU2. Though it just might as well have been from Uncharted or any of the new Tomb Raider games because not only do they all look the same since reality only has one "art style" but they also all have the same camera behaviour where the camera moves directly behind the shoulder of the character when aiming. But that's a different discussion.

But I don't think that the exact art style of Breath of the Wild with its watercolour-like shading would fit a TR game very well. If I had to point at existing games as an inspiration for TR's art style, I'd say that the Batman Arkham games and Doom Eternal would be good inspirations since those games have very detailed, yet comic-like characters and pretty imaginative and creative environments. Though, depending on the tone something along the lines of Fortnite might work as well. Those are just suggestions, of course, and a professional artist might come up with something more unique.

Last edited by Wooxman; 18-12-20 at 13:03.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 13:27   #5
Portugalraider

I love me some Zelda and cartoon art-styles, but I will say no for Tomb Raider.

I think part of the wonder of Tomb Raider is that at least the environments were always made to look as realistic as possible (within hardware limitations), to make it look like Lara is actually exploring things in our own world, things that look like they could actually be real places. Even the most fantastical elements of the franchise have a realistic feel to them, like the Atlantan mutants look like they are made of actual flesh and believable musculature. I think Tomb Raider might actually be one of the franchise's where realistic graphics make the most sense, for those reasons.

Regardless, it's not like I would be completely against either. Again, love me some Zelda and non-realistic games. But I don't think that would be the best direction for the franchise.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 13:27   #6
jackoimina

No, imo visuals are not what TR is struggling with right now
jackoimina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 13:35   #7
jajay119

No. I don't want it but I don't think I'd be bothered if they did it, if that makes sense.

Also, whilst we are on it, kinda, we don't need more open world fodder.

I'm sick to the back teeth of open word games with the same repetitive looks and quests in them. TR needs variety, it needs to be denser not bigger.

I wouldn't even mind a return to the chapter style of older games as long as the levels had side paths, tombs and crypts like in Shadow.

Last edited by jajay119; 18-12-20 at 13:38.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 13:46   #8
killchan

Short answer is yes.
A more stylized art-style allows artist to defy nature's laws (character design, shadows, illumination, surfaces, particle effects coff coof Avengers coff coof ) and the player's expectations in regards to basically everything, so that they have more room for a more gameplay driven experience. Resident Evil can be super photorealistic and still achieve survival horror (at worst you get circles above pickups, big deal), but in 3D platformers with verticality and stuff ? You need to tell what's what at first glance and CD "solved" that with smaller levels, godrays, chulk and paint... and when you turn that stuff off you can't tell a ledge from the scenery and I'd rather have none of that.

Long answer:

Last edited by killchan; 18-12-20 at 14:13.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 13:53   #9
Mikky

I love it for Zelda but I don't think it would fit for Tomb Raider. There are much better things in the Zelda games they could take inspiration from, especially when it comes to traversal and puzzles. But no, they rather take inspiration from action and Batman movies.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 14:06   #10
Tombraider95

I'd like half and half. I don't want TR looking hyper realistic, but I also don't want it looking really cartoony. Somewhere in the middle would be great.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote