Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 24-08-19, 18:26   #1
charmedangelin

Default Tomb Raider: A tale of Two Lara's

Saw this video in my Google feed and has lots of comments and public engagement.

Thought it might be interesting to post.

Link: https://youtu.be/cgUFAAi7HiQ
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-19, 19:30   #2
Blackmoor

Pretty good analysis, not a lot that I disagree with there.

Despite the ernormous amounts of praise that TR1 gets on here, I still think it is overall underrated. It's creation was genuinely a trailblazing moment in gaming history for all sorts of reasons.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 17:29   #3
LateRaider
Inactive

Ah, yet another hot take of "Man, modern Tomb Raider sure is stale. They did the same thing for the past three games. Core Design never used the same engine and gameplay multiple times in a row." His willfully blind ignorance aside, when will people realize that "more of the same" is kind of Tomb Raider's thing?

Also, does anyone else feel like this is a ****ty test? "Well, you might think that I'm just nostalgic for old TR, but I'm going to prove you wrong by replaying one of my own personal childhood favorites to see if classic TR holds up to modern AAA TR." What? Of course you're going to think it stands up today if you've always loved it.

This would've been better if it was purely TRI review, to be honest. That's basically what it is right now, but it's muddled by a half-assed premise of "Original Lara is better than modern Lara and here's why." Unfortunately it falls flat when he fails to examine the classic series' history, nor does he expound upon the many different Laras. This video in a nutshell is, "Shadow of the Tomb Raider disappointed me, so I went and replayed Tomb Raider I." He barely even discusses the Survivor Trilogy, devoting maybe 3 minutes of a 17 minute video to actually comparing TRI Lara to Survivor Lara.

I take other issues with this video, but I'm going to leave it there or else this post will lose its objectivity.

Last edited by LateRaider; 31-08-19 at 03:41.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 18:23   #4
redfox45

What did he mean by "she will give you little visual clues like reaching out for a nearby platform if it's in range"
If you jump towards a grabbable ledge without pressing the action button she just careens into it doesn't she?

Unfortunately I think it's very easy to say that TR1 has stood the test of time when you are super familiar with the tank controls and where to go and what to do in order to progress. TR1 would be a real chore for a young newcomer these days and they would really need to want it to not give up after a few short levels.

But he definitely reinforced my reluctance to not bother with Shadow.
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 19:49   #5
Rai

I'm just gonna go ahead and +1 lateraider's post .

I also have the same question as redfox, since when did classic Lara reach out for ledges? LAU Lara did it and TRS Lara did too, but not in the Core games, unless AoD Lara did it? Unless he's talking about performing long jumps and grabbing a ledge, but that doesn't work as a visual clue, you've already chosen where to go.

Last edited by Rai; 25-08-19 at 19:52.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 20:10   #6
johnanonymouz

lol a video that stinks bias +1 LateRaider
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 20:21   #7
Grimaldi

Another +1 to LateRaider from me.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 20:48   #8
laracroftswest

LateRaider nailed it. I think if we want to do a juxtaposition, this does an excellent job of taking on TR1's charm.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 21:10   #9
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I'm just gonna go ahead and +1 lateraider's post .
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
lol a video that stinks bias +1 LateRaider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Another +1 to LateRaider from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftswest View Post
LateRaider nailed it.
yaaaas i'm working hard for that "most iconic member of TRF" status as my signature states lmao thank you all

my other issues w/ this vid are as follows:

1. the sex joke regarding lara was gross

2. his fans are gross

3. he's taking the stance "i'm accompanying lara on her adventure" instead of "lara is my avatar in this world and i am here to see her go exploring," which imo is the wrong way to approach TR (like i said in my previous post, i'd be losing objectivity if i went off this tangent)

4. the thumbnail uses underworld lara who is most certainly not TRI lara (nor is she even core lara)

5. he seems to have stolen others' footage instead of him actually capturing his own

6. can we leave anita sarkeesian alone? i dont have positive thoughts on her and she's said a lot of ignorant things. but like, she hasn't done anything relevant since 2015

Last edited by LateRaider; 25-08-19 at 23:51.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 22:25   #10
Ellioft

I agree with LateRaider it's too biased for my tastes.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote