Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 14-12-19, 16:22   #71
ThatSassyKid

Half of the game has a really ugly appearance and really weak level design.
Too much combat in certain levels that would otherwise be pretty nice (I'm looking right at Barkhang and Floating Islands here)
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-19, 20:48   #72
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Half of the game has a really ugly appearance and really weak level design.
True %100! The only ‘sightly’ levels imho are Bartoli’s Hideout and Tibetan Foothills. Even its Gold counterpart beats the game in terms of beauty and scenery....
Quote:
Too much combat in certain levels that would otherwise be pretty nice (I'm looking right at Barkhang and Floating Islands here)
This made remember, Lara’s aiming at the monks automatically and shooting them by accident thus making all of them your enemies. What? Do they have telephones or something? They gossip so rapidly... Manual aiming a la TR4-5 would’ve helped...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 00:05   #73
Stryke

I was a bit put off by the story years ago. But it's actually very good. The only part I don't like in all the classics are the snow levels. I think TR2 is by far the worse. Only part I can stand is the rave music.
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 18:08   #74
Kidd Bowyer

Eh, I actually love the hell out of TR2. That said, I do have one gripe:

Too many dudes with guns.

Lara's moveset is great for dodging around melee attackers, and enemies who throw semi-slow moving projectiles. But bullets? Nah.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but it's always annoyed me how hard it is to not get hit in the back while swapping shots with an armed goon.
Kidd Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 19:36   #75
Athukraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Bowyer View Post
Eh, I actually love the hell out of TR2. That said, I do have one gripe:

Too many dudes with guns.

Lara's moveset is great for dodging around melee attackers, and enemies who throw semi-slow moving projectiles. But bullets? Nah.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but it's always annoyed me how hard it is to not get hit in the back while swapping shots with an armed goon.
That's nothing. In TR4 you can't avoid the bullets at all. The ninjas immediately turn on the spot, and Lara doesn't keep locking on to them if they get out of her sight and are behind her unlike in TR1-3

Last edited by Athukraz; 15-12-19 at 19:37.
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-19, 01:05   #76
Kidd Bowyer

To be fair, I haven't played 4 in a while, it could be worse. I'm just not sure what else I'd say I really hated in TR2...

Wait, nope, it just came back to me.

Skimobile jumping . Such a cool, aesthetically pleasing mechanic in theory, but holy crap, do I suck at it. In fact, back when I was a wee littl'un, I remember one time getting very scared during one of the later levels, to the point where I panicked and actually saved mid-skimobile jump.

Said jump had been horribly misjudged, so I basically locked myself into a loop of: Load, Then Explode.

Thank goodness that game let you reload from the start of a level...
Kidd Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-19, 09:41   #77
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Bowyer View Post
To be fair, I haven't played 4 in a while, it could be worse. I'm just not sure what else I'd say I really hated in TR2... Wait, nope, it just came back to me. Skimobile jumping . Such a cool, aesthetically pleasing mechanic in theory, but holy crap, do I suck at it. In fact, back when I was a wee littl'un, I remember one time getting very scared during one of the later levels, to the point where I panicked and actually saved mid-skimobile jump. Said jump had been horribly misjudged, so I basically locked myself into a loop of: Load, Then Explode.

Thank goodness that game let you reload from the start of a level...
And that is only for PS1 players...

How would you have felt if you saved at a terrible moment AND had no chance of replaying the level?

What are these Christmas smileys?
Old 16-12-19, 16:57   #78
scion05

Great atmosphere, incredible sound design, excellent use of colour... pathetic gameplay. I want a re-edit with less humans.
scion05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-19, 14:32   #79
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by scion05 View Post
Great atmosphere, incredible sound design, excellent use of colour... pathetic gameplay. I want a re-edit with less humans.
I can’t understand. People that accuse the reboot games of being linear praise this game. There’s a few branching linear corridors (aka like the reboot hubs), and you roam around to find a key and follow the other linear path until you get to the next hub.
Old 22-12-19, 23:18   #80
Nerdy

Wait what! I remember bare foot sound now!!!

No patch for that one ?

Last edited by Nerdy; 22-12-19 at 23:36.
Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote