Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 05-12-14, 23:24   #5101
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
They should totally show ROTTR when the game is in a completely solid state, where there's no chance things will be removed and moaned about that they should have been kept/would have been better later, and when they're ready with a good promo campaign so we don't see half the game before launch this time round.

That would blow everyone away, because everyone will love it whenever they release it.
I completely agree with you. Can't believe our thoughts on this are so in synch o
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 23:33   #5102
TwinPistols92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
You said it yourself, most people probably haven't heard about this game. Everyone (more or less) has heard of Tomb Raider. A 2 minute trailer about a game they've never heard of against a trailer of a game people have. Which one do you think will stay in their minds?
Both, but the one for the game that comes out next year will hopefully remind them about the one that comes out in a couple days!
TwinPistols92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 23:35   #5103
James_Rutland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I completely agree with you. Can't believe our thoughts on this are so in synch o
About what you changed my post to, they should just show what the game is like now and not completely bastardize it up until release. CD like to change their games a lot and waste resources by doing so, so hopefully they don't this time around. TR2013 was good at this, the only thing I noticed that was different in the trailers was one cutscene which was the one with Matthias and Sam.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 23:54   #5104
jajay119

^Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that they showed most of the game, and all of Lara's 'progress' as a character, which was the most important part of the game and the point of it all, before release. I'm sorry but CD don't know how to promote well. They've got many talents but promotion isn't one of them and neither is it one for Square Enix. I'm actually glad MS is promoting the game this time round cause they have very well planned and very agressive promo campaigns. Even if we don't see anything till E3 2015, which wouldn't bother me in the slightest, you can guarentee the game will still be hugely prevalent in the months up to it's release to make sure MS capitalise on it in their exclusivity window.
Old 06-12-14, 00:00   #5105
Tonyrobinson

Temple of Osiris is going to be over shadowed tonight when they have AAA titles battling it out for promo. To drop a ROTTR a trailer would seem the way to go. Sometimes I do wonder about the marketing though, if Microsoft is doing the campaigning I don't see why it wouldn't be there.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 00:05   #5106
Trenton

^This. I would suspect MS is very interested in having it there...
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 00:07   #5107
jajay119

I don't see why anyone thinks it should be there. Uncharted is likely going to be showing something new because it's nominated for most anticipated game. The only catagory TR is mentioned in is best remasters so it'll probably be some resused footage and a ToO gameplay trailer and that's it.
Old 06-12-14, 00:11   #5108
Tonyrobinson

Perhaps a new Uncharted trailer tonight and gameplay tomorrow at the PS event.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 00:11   #5109
TwinPistols92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I don't see why anyone thinks it should be there. Uncharted is likely going to be showing something new because it's nominated for most anticipated game. The only catagory TR is mentioned in is best remasters so it'll probably be some resused footage and a ToO gameplay trailer and that's it.
By that logic, no games that's not nominated for something should be there then? All the World Premieres and new upcoming game trailers and announcements...those shouldn't be there?
Uncharted is showing something for the Playstation event tomorrow too. So that means whatever their showing tonight is not everything.
TwinPistols92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-14, 18:54   #5110
jajay119

I'll reply to these here seeing as they didn't belong in their original thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Or use the survival mode to know where to shoot. Though the bow platforming was fun it was impractical. What if the arrow holding the rope gave away and lara fell to her death. How would it even get lodged in the wood in the first place. ROTTR needs more platforming options.
Physics based puzzles were better IMO than the conventional ones where you could operate a lever then suddenly a very complicated mechanim runs ruining the immersion.
Half-Life and portal had excellent physics based puzzles.
See, this is what I thought the SV was for. To give we who wanted to get the lay of the land, find things and complete things ourselves a chance to do that unhindered and give those who needed the help, by help I mean a 'do this, go here and bam you're done, function' if they needed the help. It looked like they tried in some respects; there were different ways you could use the environment to get places and explore and the white ledges were less present, though the odd few did creep in somehow. But when you have wall paintings, and on screen hint and a sound notification when you're near a secret tomb... it's not that hidden. When you're told how to do the puzzle, virtually, it's not a puzzle. Add that to the fact the puzzles in TR were too easy anyway it not only made the game frustratingly easy when it could have been easily more challenging and made the SV feel useless anyway cause it wasn't needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthene View Post
Yeah, I like Lara saying things in-game now and again (like when she says something dryly witty to herself) but the puzzles are already relatively easy compared to the old games so we don't also need Lara dropping unsubtle hints on how to solve them.
I like listening to Lara. One reason I think Legend had the best story out of all of CD's games is because the narrative of the whole thing was done in the background on the headset. It wasn't all cutscenes and cinematic moments...you were hearing the background of the High Priestess of Peru as you were clinging to a ledge or swinging round a pole.

I'd like them to bring back the headset and mix it with the camera's function from TRU and have it in game simply to have Lara talk about the story, her thoughts etc; her journals could be spoken ones as she's moving round, observing things, she could be explaining the origins of an artifact as we move on... it could even be used to call for help. The negative of the headset originally was that Zip and Alistair never shut up and told you what to do and where to go all the time. That's just been given to Lara now. That's what needs to stop. Talking about the story is a great way to progress and actually is much better a medium than having to break immersion to read a journal every few feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
Also, Lara needs to stop telling us how to complete a puzzle. I mean, the whole point of a puzzle is to puzzle us. We need to think about it, what to do ect.. Not have Lara tell us within 30 seconds of seeing the bloody thing.
Agreed, CD need to stop being afraid of challenging people. They're so afraid of insulting the intelligence of the stupid, they don't care if they insult the intelligence of the... not so stupid. Survival Viewer is there to help you, they could even make SV like the memory bleeds in Assassin's Creed where you can see a sillhouette Lara do parts of things you need to do when you press the SV button if needs be, but by God CD give us a challenge, PLEASE. You've hired so many people, hire someone or a few people specifically to think of puzzle like environments etc.