www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Technical Support

Closed Thread

Old 26-05-09, 23:18   #1
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Default TR1 for Vista setup: another installer

This utility installs Tomb Raider 1 and Tomb Raider Gold aka Unfinished Business under Windows Vista and Windows 7 32bit versions.

It uses the dgVoodoo combo which consists of:
a glide wrapper, dgVoodoo (as opposed to different wrapper solutions used by Glidos and Dosbox)
a soundcard emulator, VDMSound
a mscdexnt replacement for cdaudio music play, ssdh (in turn, a revamping of the earlier sapucdex tool)

It works much like the Tomb Raider Advanced Installer, of course when choosing to use the dgVoodoo (vs. Glidos) setup option there.
Unfortunately TRAI w/dgVodoo isn't working under Vista at the moment.

In this setup VDMSound is not included (it wasn't in TRAI either, to be true) so you have to get it and install it first if you miss it, before running this setup utility.
A warning and links to its download are shown at the beginning of setup anyway.
dgVoodoo 1.40+ and ssdh are included.

When you run it, you only need to have:

-Windows Vista/7 32bit
-VDMSound installed
-the TR1 cdrom in the drive
, which must be the first (lowest letter) drive if you have more than one.

Always disregard the autorun request by the drive at cdrom insertion and always use the same drive.

Why use another installer?

Well, as I said on Vista the shortcuts that TRAI creates are no-go, cdaudio music is broken unless you use another tool to have cdaudio track access, and if that's not enough, VDMSound and dgVoodoo themselves can't be run like they used to on WinXP, except if you feel deeply gratified at the view of the eternally recurring spectacle of the fullscreen crash message.
Of course, there are also Glidos and the new TR Installer using Dosbox made by Chris Ware, but there was none to help set dgVoodoo up, at least not on Vista.

Besides... I was intent on cooperating with Chris Ware lately to enhance some features of his installer I just mentioned, and he showed me the beauty of the Inno Setup tool he's been using, a free, very nice installer for Windows programs who, together with ISTool, a front-end for working on Inno Setup Scripts, can give an installation a neat, good looking glow with a bunch of automated functionalities, so... I was thrilled at the idea of finding out what I was able to do with it

But what's really new?

Oh, nothing at all. This is the same stuff I had put together in that ssdh.zip of mine which served the very same purpose.
Original post to be consulted here.
The only difference is now it's all wrapped up in a self-extracting installer executable to make things more conveniently user-friendly.

Those who are dying to (or would rather die than) give it a try, will discover I had to keep a single popping up of an ugly (?) dos box, because of the way dgVoodoo setup works: had it been possible to set it via the straightforward command line arguments and script routines, you wouldn't have even seen its gui appear, but as it is, I had to show it once or the Vista request for the system dll location wouldn't have been satisfied. WinXP behaved differently, as anyone who read the dgVoodoo readme knows.

What about CPU affinity for dual core machines

Yes, TRAI has its own service for it.
I thought of using Imagecfg.exe, the affinity mask tool for this (command line usage) and/or also Setaffinity.exe
but at the moment I dropped it as I wasn't so happy with this.
I mean I have them loaded and ready to shoot, but haven't enabled so far as setup rolls: in fact I just commented out starting imagecfg in my install.bat.
I've run TR1 afterwards of course after installing with this setup of mine on a dual core laptop and saw no crashes, or not yet.
If someone feels that this affinity setting for cpu 0 is important please let me know.
Let alone it can always be implemented manually via Ctrl+Shift+Esc to Task Manager, of course.

Possible issues?

You're going to tell me, I suspect.

I've used dgVoodoo 1.40 here, but there's no reason why updating to 1.50 can't be done, in case. It should be possible to manually perform it, even after installation, if one knows his way, and of course dgvoodoosetup.exe ought to be reinstated.

Also, I only have Vista machines equipped with nVidia GeForce cards, so, sorry but I can't test ATI hardware.
I doubt it would spell big trouble, anyway it could entail the VDD vs. server mode choice. Nothing new to those a tad familiar with dgVoodoo configuration.

One last advice and then I promise I'll shut up.
Should you ever need for whatever reason to run dgvoodoosetup.exe again, keep in mind that the setup gui must be all reworked.
Do not assume that because you had already set your custom values for e.g. Screen bit depth or VESA support before, now you only have to fix, say the path to glide2x.dll and all the rest is still stored, no:
add the new settings, making sure you reinstate all the others.
To see what I mean by this, look at what I consider to be the basic required settings as I write them in the install.bat you'll find after this installer setup is over in the c:\tombraid folder.

Your download link for Tomb Raider for Windows Vista and Windows 7 32bit Setup

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RCNYFBOT

Last edited by gidierre; 23-12-09 at 16:29.
Old 30-05-09, 18:33   #2
sheepydee
Inactive

thats awsome... but one thing i run it and then it goes "NTVDM Has Stopped Working" =S
Old 02-06-09, 18:15   #3
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepydee View Post
i run it and then it goes "NTVDM Has Stopped Working"
sorry for the late reply (I've been away for the last 3 days).

My first thought about it: this could be due to an incomplete vdmsound installation, but I know it's also happened to another player who surely had vdmsound installed alright and working.
He has an integrated Intel graphics card, not that I mean to blame it for this problem so fast.

I can't reproduce that.
To see if there's some common element, in hardware or software things,
I'd appreciate it if you could post the detailed diagnose.exe report.

Last edited by gidierre; 04-06-09 at 19:48.
Old 04-06-09, 19:48   #4
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Maybe I could add a few words here on this possible pesky vista fullscreen issue, which anyway and as far as I'm concerned is generally solved using ssdh.zip and/or the installer I've posted here, both using a different approach invoking 16bit programs precisely in order to avoid the issue.
As a reference to all interested, however:

as the Microsoft Knowledge Base has been quick to document in its 2007
article #926657 called
Some 16-bit DOS-based Programs and the Command Prompt will not run in full-screen mode in Windows Vista

the problem, only affecting 32-bit versions of Windows Vista (particularly since 16-bit programs are not supported at all on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista), occurs because the Vista device drivers [that means your graphics cards' drivers made for Vista] do not support running all of the video modes used by MS-DOS. The Vista device drivers are based on the Windows Vista Display Driver Model (WDDM).

The simplest (?) workaround to this problem happens to be by installing the Windows XP version of the video drivers for your video adapter.

This I was keen on emphasizing, to show it's all in MS regular documentation
unlike other brilliant, but independent solutions as provided by tweaking drivers, like e.g. the vast library of modded nVidia drivers (for laptops) at laptopvideo2go.com.

For a nice and complete guide to
Workaround to This System Does Not Support Full Screen Mode in Windows Vista
browse this page

focus on Workaround 1: Use XDDM driver instead of WDDM driver for video graphics adapter

as Workaround 2 (Use Standard VGA graphics driver) I won't be the one who recommends it to you
and 3 is just resorting to Dosbox emulator.
(Workaround 4 might be do as I do here and start dosdrv.exe, dgvesa.com and ssdh.exe, all definitely 16bit stuff, from a batch or the command line of the (pseudo)dos prompt)

Workaround 1 means installing WinXP drivers (the ones fit for your graphics card, of course),
which can be easily undone anytime. That is, through reinstalling Vista drivers.

Finally, this trick for Vista unfortunately won't let you use the dgVoodoo combo currently used by TRAI anyway, no, not even if it does perform the trick in question,
and this will be not because the fullscreen thing won't be solved, but mostly because the muted cdaudio music will still require ssdh addon as opposed to default sapucdex nonetheless.

Last edited by gidierre; 04-06-09 at 19:50.
Old 28-07-09, 20:58   #5
gidierre
Grease Monkey

as I was testing what difference an Intel integrated gfx card (vs. GeForce 5600, 7300 and 8600 series I mostly had been working with) and its settings can make to the visual glitch that dosbox/Intel users found as discussed here

so I wanted to try this Acer laptop with a Mobile Intel media accelerator X3100 card (965 Express Chipset) with the dgvoodoo/vdmsound/ssdh installer for Vista this thread is about

as there were reports about fullscreen issues, which frankly I never saw on GeForce cards
well
I tested and had to see again the "ntvdm.exe has stopped working" fiasco

it's surely another Intel card related issue according to my new crossed double-checks (please remember this discussion is dedicated to Vista only problems)
it won't go fullscreen indeed and no trick like the Depth Buffer Bit Depth (for dosbox) will do, especially since there's no question here of chromakey or depth artifacts, only of no fullscreen.

Only solution of sorts I found: go windowed

EDIT Nov. 1st, 2009

NO, NOT ANYMORE
it's solved using dgVoodoo v1.50
see on page 3, my post #29 explaining how

--------------------------------------------------------------
------------------Disregard what follows-----------------------

this way no ntvdm error, no abrupt crash to desktop
only conclusion, as I repeat unlike nVidia hardware, is that
putting up with windowed play seems compulsory in order to play TR1/UB under Vista using this installer and having an Intel card.
nVidia and to the best of my knowledge Ati cards are not concerned at all since they can go fullscreen, period.
How to go windowed anyway?
Well, it's pretty simple
when dgvoodoosetup window automatically pops up during setup, choose windowed mode in global tab
[IMG]http://i31.************/257jg2s.jpg[/IMG]
the output (on a 1280x800 15.4" display 1024x768 being the fitting option imo)
[IMG]http://i31.************/23w07er.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by gidierre; 01-11-09 at 12:23.
Old 21-09-09, 00:03   #6
takamotosan
Professor

I installed it in windowed mode, but it still gives me this:

http://i36.************/291c7du.jpg
Old 21-09-09, 00:30   #7
Phlip
Inactive

It works. Finally I'm able to play TR1 gold. Thanks.
Old 21-09-09, 10:16   #8
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
It works. Finally I'm able to play TR1 gold.
that's fullscreen, I hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamotosan View Post
I installed it in windowed mode, but it still gives me this:

http://i36.************/291c7du.jpg
before running the diagnose.exe tool
(is it an Intel gfx card anyway?)

by your screenshot, I see that dgvoodoo doesn't initialize,
namely dgvesa is off

are you sure you have it enabled at setup?
in dgvoodoosetup.exe
Platform: dos
Tab: vesa
use built-in vesa support

is it checked?
it would seem not yet
Old 21-09-09, 11:40   #9
Phlip
Inactive

Yeah, full screen. The only problems are that the sounds are a bit late, pistol sounds are a bit grainy and the L1, 2 and 3, R1, 2 and 3 and Select and Start buttons on my controller don't work.
Old 21-09-09, 13:28   #10
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
The only problems are that the sounds are a bit late
well, by your own diagnose report that showed here, I understand your cd/dvd drive to be:
Model: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S SCSI CdRom Device

now I only used ata devices, so I can only wonder if its being scsi (which of course is alright) vs. ide/ata *might* interfere somehow with the dos side of cdaudio track extracting
(btw can your hear music ok? like spinning menu tune, or environmental music etc.)
whatever functions in sapucdex original code addressed scsi_cdrom instances, I surely didn't mess with when creating ssdh.dll
I only got rid of obsolete calls to ioctl structs, using mci parameters so effectively getting around (I hope) any risks of scsi vs. ata detection mismatch along the way
(if you can read C/C++ I can show you the code)
anyway if you can hear cdaudio music after all and it sounds lagging, I can think of some delay in cdrom access
Quote:
the L1, 2 and 3, R1, 2 and 3 and Select and Start buttons on my controller don't work.
as for joysticks I can't be of any use, I'm afraid, since I don't have any controllers and usually play via keyboard
the setup by vdmsound/dgvoodoo/ssdh provides no way of tweaking joystick operations afaik

ironically the other installer, you know, relying on dosbox
the one that's here, or else here to be found, same thing v1.2
well that one could be handy there, since in its dosbox.conf there's just a section on joystick, e.g.
Quote:
[joystick]
# joysticktype -- Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,
# 2axis (supports two joysticks,
# 4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),
# 4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),
# fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).
# none disables joystick emulation.
# auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).
# timed -- enable timed intervals for axis. (false is old style behaviour).
# autofire -- continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.
# swap34 -- swap the 3rd and the 4th axis. can be useful for certain joysticks.
# buttonwrap -- enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.
joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true
and although I never needed to bother with it, I took care to report some info about potential issues
here, browse to "I have a joystick..." and while you're at it, see this one too
that's where one should have to try and arrange its own controller configuration, if possible.

Last edited by gidierre; 21-09-09 at 13:35.
Closed Thread