www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 02-10-11, 19:19   #1
tomekkobialka
Relic Hunter

Cool New Remastered Soundtrack!!!

Tomb Raider 3

Remastered Soundtrack

Hello! I would like to welcome you to my remastered soundtrack!

The aim of this project is to improve the sound quality of the TR3 soundtrack without destroying the nostalgia of the original.

The original TR3 soundtrack by Nathan McCree was synth-based, in other words there were no real instruments playing - all of the sound waves were created electronically through MIDI.

Essentially what I have done is that I have remastered the entire soundtrack by layering the original audio files with instrument samples from the EastWest Quantum Leap sample library using the Cubase DAW. So, for example, if I hear a horn playing then I add a separate instrument track with the EWQL horn sample, if I hear vibes then I add EWQL vibes etc. The result is a new, revitalised soundtrack which sounds more similar to a real orchestra. It is also interesting to note that Troels Brun Folmann himself used the EWQL sample library in TR Legend/Anniversary (among others!).

I have also added reverb and spatial enhancements to each track.

EVERY SINGLE MUSIC CUE HAS BEEN REMASTERED IN THIS WAY. I have also remastered the meteorite cavern ambience track (random, I know ).

I have also put all of these remastered tracks into one cdaudio.wad file, so you can play the game AND listen to my tracks!

Also, SPECIAL THANKS go to sheepman23, who tested out the very first versions of this project!

Here is a video showcasing a few tracks:

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

Cdaudio WAD - Download (264 MB)

Seperate Tracks: Download (42.74 MB)

Download the manual here.

In order to extract RAR files, you will need to download ExtractNow

NOTE: In order to play OGG files in iTunes, you must install Xiph Quicktime Component.

(I've chosen OGG as it has much higher audio quality than MP3 at low file sizes )

If you would like to listen to the ORIGINAL TR3 soundtrack, I highly recommend you download H4RR7H's remaster.

Please leave feedback/tell me what you think! This is a continuous working progress, and so please tell me what could be improved, if certain cues are too loud in-game...And please report technical issues!!!

EDIT: The TR3 cdaudio.wad is compatible with The Lost Artifact! Just copy the 'audio' folder from the TRLA CD to your TRLA game directory on your PC (usually in Program Files\Core Design...), then overwrite the existing cdaudio.wad with the cdaudio.wad found in the download link above!

Last edited by tomekkobialka; 22-06-18 at 21:34. Reason: updated links
tomekkobialka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 19:36   #2
ace_85
Relic Hunter

Awesome work Downloading this pronto, I'll post back later with a more in-depth reply when I've had a chance to listen to it all. Even from the youtube vid it sounds pretty damn good though. I think it's great that the older TR games are still receiving this sort of level of dedication and time even after all these years
ace_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 19:43   #3
tomekkobialka
Relic Hunter

I've just updated the video with a better quality one, so you can listen to the audio in full HD!
Old 02-10-11, 19:50   #4
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Yay! Good to see the whole soundtrack, I will download soon when I have time.

Also - does this audio file work with The Lost Artifact as well?
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 19:52   #5
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekkobialka View Post
The original TR4 soundtrack by Nathan McCree was synth-based, in other words there were no real instruments playing - all of the sound waves were created by the computer using MIDI.
Two points: You said TR4 when you meant TR3, and the second is that this is not entirely true as written. Although there were no real instruments playing it certainly wasn't MIDI-sequenced on a computer. As said somewhere once, "The symphonic sounds of the earlier games were created using Roland Corporation's Orchestral Expansion board for their JV series keyboards", so he basically recorded it all on a keyboard.
Old 02-10-11, 19:53   #6
tomekkobialka
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman23 View Post
I will download soon when I have time.
As if I haven't heard that phrase said by you before!

Quote:
Also - does this audio file work with The Lost Artifact as well?
I am currently looking into that! It's the same soundtrack, so it shouldn't be much of a problem!
Old 02-10-11, 19:56   #7
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
As if I haven't heard that phrase said by you before!
Yes, you certainly have.

Quote:
I am currently looking into that! It's the same soundtrack, so it shouldn't be much of a problem!
I think I would be eager to try out The Lost Artifact first, since it seems to use the music tracks a lot more frequently than TR3 does. That way I can hear more of them right away.
Old 02-10-11, 19:57   #8
tomekkobialka
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
Two points: You said TR4 when you meant TR3, and the second is that this is not entirely true as written. Although there were no real instruments playing it certainly wasn't MIDI-sequenced on a computer. As said somewhere once, "The symphonic sounds of the earlier games were created using Roland Corporation's Orchestral Expansion board for their JV series keyboards", so he basically recorded it all on a keyboard.
1. I think my keyboard is becoming smaller...or perhaps I am already thinking of doing the same with TR4's soundtrack and simply slipped up!

2. I don't mean PC, I mean that the soundtrack was produced electronically through MIDI and not with a real orchestra. I just phrased that wrongly, I guess

Quote:
I think I would be eager to try out The Lost Artifact first, since it seems to use the music tracks a lot more frequently than TR3 does. That way I can hear more of them right away.
You might as well download the separate tracks to have a listen

Quote:
EDIT: The TR3 cdaudio.wad is compatible with The Lost Artifact! Just copy the 'audio' folder from the TRLA CD to your TRLA game directory on your PC (usually in Program Flies\Core Design...), then overwrite the existing cdaudio.wad with the cdaudio.wad found in the download link above!
It works!

Last edited by tomekkobialka; 02-10-11 at 20:18.
tomekkobialka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 20:20   #9
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
You might as well download the separate tracks to have a listen
Yeah, but I'd like to hear them in the actual game, too.

Also, if we want to keep the original audio file, do we just make a backup folder for it (like you told me to do when I was testing the first few tracks), and then put the remastered audio file in the original folder?
Old 02-10-11, 20:24   #10
tomekkobialka
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Yeah, but I'd like to hear them in the actual game, too.
Yes, of course!

Quote:
Also, if we want to keep the original audio file, do we just make a backup folder for it (like you told me to do when I was testing the first few tracks), and then put the remastered audio file in the original folder?
Instructions on how to do that are in the readme that comes with the cdaudio.wad download