www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 25-02-12, 08:01   #1
shabtronic
Hobbyist

Default New Level Viewer/Engine

Hi I've just found these forums - I didn't realised people actually made new levels for TR4 - awesome!

I'm just writing a level viewer/game engine and thought you modders might find it useful, it's not ready for release yet - maybe another few weeks or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEwUy8SoKS4

I plan to have in game editing in the engine - i.e. play the level and edit it at the same time. Editing would be simple item placement, static mesh placement, Collision stack editing and maybe Sector (room) geometry editing.

I'm stuck on a few parts of the engine:

I'm trying to work out how the emitters/switches work, are they hard coded to the movable id? I.e. is a switch always a item with a movable of type xxx or a emitter is a item with a movable of type zzz? or do the emitters work with a anim command to create a particle? e.t.c. lots of questions!

thanks in advance

Shabby
shabtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 08:12   #2
leglion
Inactive

Love it! Can't wait for it to be released! Do you have an estimated time?

Also, I've looked at your videos and this caught my attention:

Will you be releasing that? It would be a huge jump in the graphics if you did!
leglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 08:41   #3
klona
Golden

Oh... my god... D:
THAT IS AWESOME!
klona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 09:46   #4
teme9
Professor

oh my... what can I even say it does look stunning and FAST oh my god... can't wait for it. Im almost drooling here I can't even imagine how crazy I would become with that engine There would be details everywhere

I know this might sound unreasonable to ask at this phase, but yeah.. I just have to ask
Would it be possible to have reflections, shine, better bumpmapping and shadows with your engine? Im not propably the only one thinking this

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by teme9; 25-02-12 at 09:57.
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 09:49   #5
-Roli-
Relic Hunter

Holy.......!

wow.

At 1:53 in the video that effect :O Is it really possible to turn it on while playing our game?! Or that effect is only for the editing things?

Last edited by -Roli-; 25-02-12 at 09:56.
-Roli- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 10:07   #6
teme9
Professor

im pretty sure it's possible. If that ambient occlusion can stay there, why not the bloom too And besides:

"I plan to have in game editing in the engine - i.e. play the level and edit it at the same time."

So basically what we see there is in the editor, but also how it would be ingame

This + meta2tr... *shivers*

Last edited by teme9; 25-02-12 at 10:14.
Old 25-02-12, 10:13   #7
teme9
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme9 View Post
im pretty sure it's possible. If that ambient occlusion can stay there, why not the bloom too And besides:

"I plan to have in game editing in the engine - i.e. play the level and edit it at the same time."

So basically what we see there is in the editor, but also how it would be ingame
this + meta2tr... *shivers*

**edit what the cat? I thought I pressed edit.

Delete please, sorry
Old 25-02-12, 10:18   #8
dizzydoil
Inactive

Oh man this is so exciting.
dizzydoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 10:35   #9
shabtronic
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme9 View Post
oh my... what can I even say it does look stunning and FAST oh my god... can't wait for it. Im almost drooling here I can't even imagine how crazy I would become with that engine There would be details everywhere

I know this might sound unreasonable to ask at this phase, but yeah.. I just have to ask
Would it be possible to have reflections, shine, better bumpmapping and shadows with your engine? Im not propably the only one thinking this

Keep up the good work!

So basically what we see there is in the editor, but also how it would be ingame.

Yes that's exactly correct - editor and game are the same thing

Hi thanks for the responses!

umm I can do all of that but - but in my development experience - it's better to keep things simple. So the really major thing I'm planning is to be able to edit the pre-existing geometry, i.e. tessellate and increase detail above the limits of the existing engine. Because the World geometry and Collision system are entirely separate it is possible to do this and add major details to the world geomtery without touching the collision stuff. This would be heaps loads cheaper (memory) than bump mapping eating up texture memory. The same also with shadows - Shadow mapping or Stencil shadows are all doable - but it takes a lot of work to make them look great and fit in with the level (I've worked on major projects with teams that have had 5-6 people doing the lighting/shadows). That's why I've used SSAO - it really is a magic bullet that improves the look with very little work. Haven't thought about reflections or specular so can't answer that yet.

I'm kind of thinking that this would be a polish tool - i.e. create your level,texture,anims e.t.c. with whatever then use this to really spice it up and get the polish on

Yes the SSAO and BLOOM would both be available - in fact I never intended to write this as a full game engine - it was only ever a loader for my R&D work on lighting. But on closer inspection of the TR file format it became obvious that extending it to play that actual game is doable - and that's where I'm at now - just getting all the gameplay mechanics up and running. The biggest hurdle will be the AI - it's hard coded, so has to be reverse engineered by playing that game.

Timescale - who knows - I've only just found these forums and in fact the custom levels (awesome! the custom level work I've seen so far has blown me away!) - and I can see you mod guys are really passionate about it all - and so I would hate to promise yo guys something at the moment. But I'm thinking it would be at least a few weeks before I release something you can play with.

Shabby
shabtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 10:44   #10
-Roli-
Relic Hunter

Great to hear that Shabby!

Good luck with the project, and a HUGE thank you for helping our game!
-Roli- is offline   Reply With Quote