www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-09-12, 01:02   #1
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

Default Tell me your tomb raider life story

My tomb raiser life story started when I was about 2. I youst to play tomb raider 4 on my sisters ps1. I youst to work out the puzzles by looking at the stratedgy guide pics and copy them. One thing I always remember was when my sister to get angry with me because I would save in silly places such as falling to my death or low health and in front of an enemy.

As I got to about 5 I got my own ps1 with with tomb raider 1,2 and 5 I mostly played tomb raider 2 unroll I got stuck on barkhang monistary because I had low Heath and no mediapacks as well as the minks were after me to because I shot them because I assumed they were baddies

Meanwhile I was also playing tomb raider 1 I got stuck on Midas hand then figured it out after a while then I got to the cistern and was stuck for like a year and a half untill I figured out you have to drain the water and go to the piere room. Eventually I completed It.

At the time I was also playing tomb raider 5 however I was stuck on the submarine level because I could end find my guns. It took me ages to figure out that I had to press x behind the chef I was straight forward from that point on.

a few weeks later I was in a game shop when u saw tomb raider 4 unfortunately for me it was for pc and dream cast and at the time u dident have either. However while I was there I did pick up a copy of tomb raider 3 . I got home excited and ready to play only to find out I would get to temple ruins and the disk would stop working the next day.

To make up for what happened my sister was out and stumbled upon tomb raiser 4 the one I originally wanted. She took it home and I got started straight away. I took me about a year to complete that game. I remember I got so frustrated withe the Alexandria and city of the dead levels. Them level alone were the reason it took me a year.

Abou 2 years later when I was abou 8-9 legend came out . I think I got it for my birthday . The main thing I remember was that I was easy short and very fun. I didn't get stuck at any part.

I also got anniversary when it came out. I got it for ps2 and got to I think egypt then my house got burgled and that was one of the things stolen. I later got it for wii and and shortly after completed it. I specifically remember natlas mines due to the fact that it was so frustrating.

I was very excited when underworld came out. I got it for wii on Christmas . I most over estimated it because all I remember was a long and boring Mexico based level. That's all I had to say about underworld I was asfar as I'm concerned the disgrace of the tomb raider series.

When I was about ten I remember thinking about the old tomb raider and all the great memories I had . That when u decided to try and download the series that's when I found a vid on YouTube saying tomb raider 3 download. I tryed it straight away and I surprisingly worked right away . Was so happy that I finally got to give tomb raider 3 a go. I then searched the Internet for the rest then I found tomb raider 2. I got it to work and I couldn't wait to replay it especially bark hang monastery . Finally I beat bark hang and beat the game along with it.

I download the rest of the series however I just couldent get tomb raider 1 to work which was such a disappointment because really wanted to play it because of how much I enjoyed it back then. This gave me an excuse to get the collection for ps1 so now last month I am 13 and decided to buy the 7 ps1 I saw in the cash converters along with the amazing deal I got on eBay, all 5 tomb raider games for ps1 great condition for only 5!

A week ago I saw a huge collection of tomb raider stuff on the Internet and decided to make my own. I'm getting the gold series, Lara style bb guns, the stratedgy guides for my birthday . Then finally I'm getting the figurines and more awesome stuff for Christmas.

Ps on christmas day I will be making a "show of your Lara merchandise " thread
So to guys and girl raiders can show of you new merchandise that you got for Christmas

Well that's my tomb raider life story up to date for now I would love to hear your stories though I'm very interested

Any way bye
Old 02-09-12, 01:04   #2
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

Ps wrote all this on my iPhone took so long what whith tiny keyboard and stupid auto correct damn that auto correct! lol
Old 02-09-12, 06:07   #3
Tyrannosaurus
Relic Hunter

I was in my last year of junior high, reading the video game magazines at the supermarket and waiting for my parents, when I read a preview article about TR1. I thought to myself, "Wow, that looks like an awesome game. Too bad I probably won't be able to play it."

I grew up never owning a console system of any sort, even though I'd begged my parents each Christmas for whatever the current trend was--Nintendo, Sega Genesis, the Playstation, whatever. Back then, we'd just gotten our first PC, a 486 with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1. We had a few games, like the Shareware version of Doom, Lemmings, Myst, Civilization 2, and King's Quest V and VI, but that was about it. I was really intrigued by the premise of TR, and much to my delight and surprise, the game was available on the PC.

I got TR1 for Christmas of 1997, and while it worked fine on the computer, the cinematics didn't play at all, so I had a hard time following the story, but I was hooked nonetheless. I eventually took it to a friend's house with all of my saved games saved to disc, and we skimmed through the game's plot at crucial moments to see how it unfolded.

I loved the game, but I was somewhat crushed that TR2 wouldn't be able to work on my PC, so I sat and stewed for a few years in high school and kept abreast of the TR series (back then, I read the Croft Times newsletter, which I don't think is up now), and when I got my first job during my senior year of high school, I saved up enough money to buy a PC and was finally able to play TR2, TR3, and TR4. (And roughly 11 other games I'd been curious about for the last 4 years).

In high school none of my friends liked TR much, and I became somewhat sensitive to what I considered to be the condescending assumption that Lara Croft was a pinup girl who sold a crappy game to horny teenage boys, rather than the badass adventurer and star of a superbly involving game that I knew. I wrote one piece of crappy TR fan fiction, but I had so much respect for Lara I couldn't even approach her very easily in the writing. When the TR movie came out in 2000, I saw it on the first day, and the usher was there to ask the audience members TR trivia before the movie started. The last question he asked was, "True or False: Lara's breasts have gotten bigger with each game." Everyone in the theater shouted "True!", but I knew the correct answer, and got a free T-shirt ("See here, everyone? This man knows the breasts in his video games.")

TR5 didn't work on my PC for some reason, so I played it on my father's, but only once. Then, as my computer was lagging behind with the times and I was busy with college, I didn't pay much attention to TR for a few years. Eventually, my '00 PC went kind of senile, and many games that it used to be able to run fine stopped working, and I gradually lost access to TR4, TR3, and TR1 (though TR2 still plays fine on that computer for some reason).

I picked up a copy of AOD around the time the game was being sold in discount bins in Walmart, knowing that my PC wouldn't be able to run it, but figuring that I might be able to play it someday when I had a new computer. I occasionally kept track of TR news, but my interest was only renewed when I heard that TR1 was going to be remake. I was intrigued, so I joined TRF to share my thoughts and follow this news. After watching clips at youtube and reading reviews, I became convinced that I didn't need to spend money for a console system to play it, but I stayed on TRF because I liked the community.

That day finally came for my 27th birthday in 2009, when the price of laptops came down, and I got to play AOD for the first time. I've written much on this topic already, but it's strange to note that my state of mind was very much like Lara's. I was in a bad place in my life, having just gone through a painful breakup, a humiliating job loss, and ayear of my life wasted in the wrong graduate program. I was quite jaded and cynical about many things, so naturally, I immediately identified with the Lara from AOD and felt a kinship with her. It might just have been me, but I certainly felt the weight of what Lara had been through since TR4 (my last positive memory of her), and like me, she had also lost faith in the things most important to her, and was thrust into a dark and confusing stage in her life.

While AOD has been rightly lambasted for its horrible control and game-stopping bugs, I nonetheless reacted strongly to the bleak nihilism of this game. It was the most mature TR has ever been, I think. It almost felt like a deconstruction of the previous games, with a Lara who felt so much more human than she did in any of her other titles (or ever would again, for that matter). It suggested a direction both for Lara and the TR series that I would have been interesting in seeing payoff. The last cutscene is rather poignant, but more so than the designers probably intended, since it's the last we ever see of the character whom I consider to be the 'real' Lara Croft.

I have played the demo of Legend and hated it, and I finally purchased TRA from a bargain bin in Office Depot. I succeeded in penetrating only to the boss fight in Tomb of Tihocan, but I haven't touched the game in more than two years, and feel no particular desire to finish it. The audio is terrific, but I hate the controls, dislike the curtailed design, and disagree with CD's interpretation of the TR1 storyline, but I've already written about this elsewhere. On the other hand, I have recently replayed TR1, TR2, and TR4 for the first time in 10 years via gog.com (TR3 doesn't work for some reason) and enjoyed them each immensely.

Err, so that's my TR life story.

Hello?

Hello, are you still awake?

Last edited by Tyrannosaurus; 02-09-12 at 06:24.
Tyrannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 07:06   #4
SeanCordernay
Archaeologist

This is the perfect thread!!! I will tell my story later.
Old 02-09-12, 07:09   #5
bekim
Relic Hunter

Too long to tell ;-;
btw why not a TR story competition XD?
bekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 08:28   #6
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

My TR Story is not one of a kind but it is quite Interesting, it all began as an ordinary day in the year 1998 i was viewing my stepfather's (Former stepfather) Games case in which he had various demo discs and games for the PS1 Consoles however i picked up some of the games randomly and started playing and after several hours i chose the demo version of TR2. It is strange because it was the only game that called my attention so bad... i played many demos but none hooked me up as the TR2 demo did i remember it was a beta version of the level 'The great wall'. Almost everyday i played the demo til'l tired and trying to find a way to beat the level (I was too young so i was always stuck in the beginning ) but being stuck never caused a negative effect on me in fact it made me more interested in it, this game series has been with me in my most depressing and dark moments and the years of 1998 and 1999 where dark in my life... really dark and depressing i don't want to get into detail.

After some time passed My father got a new girlfriend and my father was going to present her to me since i didn't know her, he took me to her work and he said she had a present for me i anxiously got in the car to go and meet her since she was going to gift me something (i've always been fond of surprises of wait who isn't ) and i didn't even know her so when we got to her work she smiled to me and made the usual comparison between father and son after she gave me the present which was no other than Tomb Raider 3, my first full TR game. I almost cried of happiness and i couldn't believe that the third game had been released when i was playing the demo for the 2nd TR game (since i was little and young i obviously wasn't into game industry or magazines and less into internet which in my country wasn't used much by that time only rich people had access... which means i didn't know the order of the games or their info).

The series felt like a mystery to me i loved it and it is ironic because the TR games where so 'IN' back then. I played the game till my ps1 stopped working after that who knows what happened to my TR3 Copy . Years later i got a ps2 as christmas gift it was my father's gift to me for the year of 2001, immediately some time later i got to the mall with my mom and i wanted to visit K.B toys to go and check out the toys (obviously) however my grandmother wanted to go to walmart but i insisted that i wanted to enter K.B toys... after much struggle we finally got to K.B. toys store and instantly i saw some kind of shelf with ps1 games at 40% off i was browsing through and saw the copies for TR3, TR1 and TR2 when i saw TR1 i fell in love with it and wanted to get it since it was the only game i didn't play of the TR games never beated any though.

I was having so much fun with TR1 by that time it was a amazing it was my most beloved item. Time later i visited the mall again with my Grandmother and she bought me a copy of TR4 which i enjoyed a lot and 1 month later she bought me a copy of TR2. I was having so much fun back then i grew up playing these. In the year of 2003 i was a bit more ''mature'' and from what i remember i found the manual for TR2 which was previously lost a.k.a under my bed and i noticed that it was announcing a game set to release in winter 2002 Tomb raider the angel of darkness and since we where in 2003 i knew it had to be out. My grandfather took me to the local Blockbuster and we rented TRAOD. I was impressed by everything... even if it was lacking of some important elements back then i found it amazing but obviously hard to control which caused me to be ironically stuck in Parisian backstreets perpetually . I remember that day clearly it has so many memories.... time later in the year 2005 i got into a summer camp and some boy brought the game to the camp and i was obviously impressed by watching at the boy playing it.

I always considered TOMB RAIDER to be the best series ever and i still do, I remember i was playing Bartolli's hideout when a family member of mine came to live here in my country previously lived in N.Y and moved here after his wife's death in the year 2005. I was subscribed to GI and i received a magazine in the same year but i was completely disappointed when i saw the new model for Lara in Legend since I thought AOD model was better and i wanted it to remain the same. During elementary school i was always making drawings and adventures of Lara Croft i even predicted the doppelganger (I used to call her Laria as a relative name to Lara) and Natla coming back in those drawings . I was starting to feel more and more passion for TOMB RAIDER specially after i saw the movies which i watched and still watch over and over. Tomb Raider is a lfestyle it is more than just an amazing and outstanding video game series, I started making my 'all games' collection since 2006 and now in the present i have them all and I replay the beloved classics over and over again and they bring me so many memories it is unbelievable how much time flies.

Right now in the present Tomb Raider still influences in my life in a major way, apart from saving pictures from the web, continuously reading everything TR related and replaying all of the games and watching all of the movies i am currently thinking of making a collection with the box arts since my TR3 Copy is a bit damaged and TR1 and TR2 are inside PS2 Cases because i lost their respective cases... I am also thinking to buy some action figures to expand my collection and add more TR lifestyle to my bedroom. I have been in some trips to many places and iv'e always had that little thirst for adventure even if it isn't something grand such as getting to a river through a not so stable or friendly path or going to the caves of Camuy with a guide i enjoy this little things. TR is a big part of my life and I still get heart broken when i play AOD and see the classic Core Lara for the last time, I loved CD's Lara but i regret Core had left. The series will move on with the upcoming reboot and i hope it can bring new fans to admire and enjoy the series as much as i have through out this exciting 14 years of intense Tomb Raiding, My story with TR was a story that many have to tell but as all of the TR stories they are always special. I love The Tomb Raider Series! <3

Edit: obviously there is more in this story such as for example the quake that occurred when i was downloading LCGOL and the moment i joined the forums but i think that It is too much to go into detail so i gave a quick resume

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 02-09-12 at 08:35.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 08:28   #7
Shark_Blade
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekim View Post
Too long to tell ;-;
btw why not a TR story competition XD?
Sure, why not. You'll be the host.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 09:19   #8
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus View Post
I was in my last year of junior high, reading the video game magazines at the supermarket and waiting for my parents, when I read a preview article about TR1. I thought to myself, "Wow, that looks like an awesome game. Too bad I probably won't be able to play it."

I grew up never owning a console system of any sort, even though I'd begged my parents each Christmas for whatever the current trend was--Nintendo, Sega Genesis, the Playstation, whatever. Back then, we'd just gotten our first PC, a 486 with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1. We had a few games, like the Shareware version of Doom, Lemmings, Myst, Civilization 2, and King's Quest V and VI, but that was about it. I was really intrigued by the premise of TR, and much to my delight and surprise, the game was available on the PC.

I got TR1 for Christmas of 1997, and while it worked fine on the computer, the cinematics didn't play at all, so I had a hard time following the story, but I was hooked nonetheless. I eventually took it to a friend's house with all of my saved games saved to disc, and we skimmed through the game's plot at crucial moments to see how it unfolded.

I loved the game, but I was somewhat crushed that TR2 wouldn't be able to work on my PC, so I sat and stewed for a few years in high school and kept abreast of the TR series (back then, I read the Croft Times newsletter, which I don't think is up now), and when I got my first job during my senior year of high school, I saved up enough money to buy a PC and was finally able to play TR2, TR3, and TR4. (And roughly 11 other games I'd been curious about for the last 4 years).

In high school none of my friends liked TR much, and I became somewhat sensitive to what I considered to be the condescending assumption that Lara Croft was a pinup girl who sold a crappy game to horny teenage boys, rather than the badass adventurer and star of a superbly involving game that I knew. I wrote one piece of crappy TR fan fiction, but I had so much respect for Lara I couldn't even approach her very easily in the writing. When the TR movie came out in 2000, I saw it on the first day, and the usher was there to ask the audience members TR trivia before the movie started. The last question he asked was, "True or False: Lara's breasts have gotten bigger with each game." Everyone in the theater shouted "True!", but I knew the correct answer, and got a free T-shirt ("See here, everyone? This man knows the breasts in his video games.")

TR5 didn't work on my PC for some reason, so I played it on my father's, but only once. Then, as my computer was lagging behind with the times and I was busy with college, I didn't pay much attention to TR for a few years. Eventually, my '00 PC went kind of senile, and many games that it used to be able to run fine stopped working, and I gradually lost access to TR4, TR3, and TR1 (though TR2 still plays fine on that computer for some reason).

I picked up a copy of AOD around the time the game was being sold in discount bins in Walmart, knowing that my PC wouldn't be able to run it, but figuring that I might be able to play it someday when I had a new computer. I occasionally kept track of TR news, but my interest was only renewed when I heard that TR1 was going to be remake. I was intrigued, so I joined TRF to share my thoughts and follow this news. After watching clips at youtube and reading reviews, I became convinced that I didn't need to spend money for a console system to play it, but I stayed on TRF because I liked the community.

That day finally came for my 27th birthday in 2009, when the price of laptops came down, and I got to play AOD for the first time. I've written much on this topic already, but it's strange to note that my state of mind was very much like Lara's. I was in a bad place in my life, having just gone through a painful breakup, a humiliating job loss, and ayear of my life wasted in the wrong graduate program. I was quite jaded and cynical about many things, so naturally, I immediately identified with the Lara from AOD and felt a kinship with her. It might just have been me, but I certainly felt the weight of what Lara had been through since TR4 (my last positive memory of her), and like me, she had also lost faith in the things most important to her, and was thrust into a dark and confusing stage in her life.

While AOD has been rightly lambasted for its horrible control and game-stopping bugs, I nonetheless reacted strongly to the bleak nihilism of this game. It was the most mature TR has ever been, I think. It almost felt like a deconstruction of the previous games, with a Lara who felt so much more human than she did in any of her other titles (or ever would again, for that matter). It suggested a direction both for Lara and the TR series that I would have been interesting in seeing payoff. The last cutscene is rather poignant, but more so than the designers probably intended, since it's the last we ever see of the character whom I consider to be the 'real' Lara Croft.

I have played the demo of Legend and hated it, and I finally purchased TRA from a bargain bin in Office Depot. I succeeded in penetrating only to the boss fight in Tomb of Tihocan, but I haven't touched the game in more than two years, and feel no particular desire to finish it. The audio is terrific, but I hate the controls, dislike the curtailed design, and disagree with CD's interpretation of the TR1 storyline, but I've already written about this elsewhere. On the other hand, I have recently replayed TR1, TR2, and TR4 for the first time in 10 years via gog.com (TR3 doesn't work for some reason) and enjoyed them each immensely.

Err, so that's my TR life story.

Hello?

Hello, are you still awake?
Ha ha ha I lol at the last bit
Ps that was very interesting to read.
Did you like mine
Old 02-09-12, 11:17   #9
strawberry22
Relic Hunter

Okay, so mine started off when I was around 6, I was at my mum's friends house, and they had a PS2 with AOD on it. I played around on it, and really loved it After that, I decided I wanted to play more of the games, and I got TRL for Xbox at Christmas 2006. I loved TRL, and it kinda kick started my story. I later went on in 2008 to buy TR2, because I was really eager to play the classics. I realised how different it was. At Christmas 2008, I bought AOD. The first level was pretty nostalgic, even though I'd played it only a few years back. I didn't love it, but I found it highly enjoyable. I watched multiple videos on TR3, and fell completely in love with it. It was then that I either bought TR5 or TR3/4, but I think I bought TR3/4 first. I managed to install TR3, which I dearly loved with all my heart. TR4 didn't really work for some reason, but after fiddling around with the disk I managed to get it to work. I didn't really like it at first, but it grew on me. Now days it's my fifth favourite in the series! I bought TRC as well, and that is when I realised my hatred for VCI Oh god.... But other than that TRC was one of my faves. It broke my other PC though, because it shattered whilst inside the disk drive. When we got the PC fixed, I got my smashed up copy of TRC in a little blue bag. The peices of it where tiny. I bought it again sometime later (probably the last time I bought a TR) because I missed it I re-bought TRL for PC, and hated it. It was laggy as hell. After that I bought TR1 for PC, loved it. My mum managed to accidentally snap it though, so I had to buy it again along with another copy of TR2. After that, I lost the disk. I haven't re-bought it since, because I PC copy is pretty hard to find these days. The last one I bought was TRA. It's all right, I play it from time to time and I find it fairly enjoyable. Here's my list

TR1 - Bought - Snapped - Re-Bought - Lost
TR2 - Bought
TR3 - Bought in a double disk with TR4 - Disk got scratched so I bought an individual copy.
TR4 - Bought in a double disk with TR3 - Disk got scratched so I bought an individual copy
TR5 - Bought - Shattered in Disk Drive - Re Bought
TRAOD - Bought - Lost - Re Bought
TRL - Bought for Xbox - Bought for PC some years later - Xbox version broke
TRA - Bought
TRU - Never bought, but played
TRGOL - Never bought, but played a demo (hated it)

At the current time, I have

TR2
TR3
TR4
TR5
TRAOD
TRL
TRA

Last edited by strawberry22; 02-09-12 at 11:18.
strawberry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 11:33   #10
pipermaru
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus View Post
In high school none of my friends liked TR much, and I became somewhat sensitive to what I considered to be the condescending assumption that Lara Croft was a pinup girl who sold a crappy game to horny teenage boys, rather than the badass adventurer and star of a superbly involving game that I knew.
Hahahaha this happened to me a lot of times.