Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-09-12, 19:49   #1
larafan25

Arrow Forum query about certain censored words

Yesterday while I was at Wal-Mart I took a break from TRF, a 24 hour one. If yall know what I mean.

Anyways. It seems that my post was deleted for containing the word "****" which is apparently known as circumventing the censor by using "ghetto" talk (not my choice of words).

Of course that word which you won't read again (until you click the link below and see it a lot) translates from "ghetto" to English, in which it means ****. In other words, Feces or Faeces (not sure why the difference in spelling).

It seems odd to me that videos that are official TR videos in which Lara says "****" are allowed to be posted, but I (when too many others have) can't simply exchange one letter of the word to mean the same thing without being the same censored word.

This is probably one of those things we're not supposed to make threads about but keep to private discussions with moderation, I don't know.

Anyways, I find it unfair that I happened to be banned for use of the word, but I also find it unfair that moderators would be expected to catch the word in every corner of the forum, so I'm not expecting that. Just bringing it all to light.

As well the word isn't always used in a "ghetto" context, as some of the posters in the link below probably would never consider their posts to be "ghetto".

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/sear...archid=1214331

^All of those posts were not deleted.

Last edited by EscondeR; 13-09-12 at 21:58. Reason: Another circumvention
Old 13-09-12, 19:55   #2
tomblover

That particular word carries no "ghetto" connotation to me, it's simply the past tense of "****" -- although that's a super-finicky word.
The moderation needs to look over their censoring list, evidently.
Old 13-09-12, 19:57   #3
Sir Croft

^That's true, the verb has two different past tense forms. I always wondered why it wasn't censored.
Old 13-09-12, 19:58   #4
larafan25

Hold up. So that word is actually a word?
Old 13-09-12, 20:00   #5
Rai

That S word isn't actually 'ghetto', but rather an alternative/past tense version of ****. I guess it could be seen as circumventing the sensor, I dunno. Are you sure that your break was due to use of that one word though?
Old 13-09-12, 20:01   #6
BinRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Hold up. So that word is actually a word?
Yeah. Maybe it's just a trans-Atlantic thing but I use it as the past tense version of **** too.
Old 13-09-12, 20:05   #7
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
That S word isn't actually 'ghetto', but rather an alternative/past tense version of ****. I guess it could be seen as circumventing the sensor, I dunno. Are you sure that your break was due to use of that one word though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinRaider View Post
Yeah. Maybe it's just a trans-Atlantic thing but I use it as the past tense version of **** too.
The first time I ever heard the word was in grade 4, and in my mind I spelled it out like "chat" and thought of the French word for cat.

I didn't know it was an actual word.

But given that circumstance, if it's against the rules then it should be censored so we know so, right?

And yes, that is the word I was banned for.
Old 13-09-12, 20:15   #8
Rai

^well whilst it would be difficult for the mods to look at every post, it seems odd and harsh that you were banned just for that reason .

I'm not sure we're supposed to discuss ban reasons

Last edited by Rai; 13-09-12 at 20:24.
Old 13-09-12, 20:17   #9
larafan25

Quote:
^well whilst it would be difficult for the mods to look at every post, it seems odd and harsh that you were banned just for that reason :confused.

I'm not sure we're supposed to discuss ban reasons
If not this thread will be closed and I will be...

banned again.

But this is less about my personal banishment, although probably powered by slight spite. It's more about question the guidelines in a progressive way.
Old 13-09-12, 20:18   #10
tomblover

Quote:
...it seems odd and harsh that you were banned just for that reason :confused.
It was totally EscondeR.
I'm just saying, he's the moderator who does moderation stuff the most actively -- and perhaps a little harshly.
Closed Thread