www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 04-03-13, 19:26   #1
MichaelGT
Hobbyist

Default Fact Checking Two Things About the Nude Code

Hey there,

I work on the show Pop Fiction for GameTrailers, and we're doing an episode about the Nude Code in Tomb Raider. I'm having trouble tracking down two supposed bits of information, so I figured I'd turn here for some help.

1) An article cited the April 1997 issue of EGM (#93) as being one of the first sources to spread the myth about the Nude Code. Just received that issue and combed through it and had no such luck finding a mention of it, just the preview for Tomb Raider 2. Does anyone know if EGM ever discussed the Nude Code, and what issue (and maybe page #)?

2) Are there any active links or archive.org links to pages where Core Design gave out the "fake" codes that made Lara explode? As far as I know there is no code to make Lara explode in TR1. It seems the code started with TR2.

If anyone provides something used in the episode I'll be sure to give a shout out to the forums here.

Thanks in advance.
MichaelGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 19:31   #2
tomee
Tomb Raider

I thought the nude code was a myth and nude Lara came from a cracked version of the game. Can't say I'm sure though.
Old 04-03-13, 20:12   #3
Spong
Beyond The Floating Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
I thought the nude code was a myth and nude Lara came from a cracked version of the game. Can't say I'm sure though.
Yeah. Nothing about "Nude Raider" was ever legitimate. The only recollection I have of magazines referencing it was a UK publication (I can't even remember which one it was now) publishing a cheat in their April issue as an April's Fool joke that was completely fake. Part of inputting the "code" involved getting Lara to sidestep to the beat of Wannabe by The Spice Girls. Seriously.

I don't ever remember hearing of any "official" fake code supposedly issued by Core.
Old 04-03-13, 20:59   #4
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Exploding Lara is true on TR2....

PC & Macintosh Level Skip: Light a flare (/ key), then walk one step forward, walk one step back, turn around three times in either direction, then jump forward.

PC & Macintosh All Weapons & Ammo: Light a flare (/ key), then walk one step forward, walk one step back, turn around three times in either direction, then back flip. This cheat also provides extra medipaks. (Note that this cheat does not work in the last level, Home Sweet Home.)

Alternately, beat the game and then, without quitting, start a new game. You should then have all weapons and ammo.

PC & Macintosh Exploding Lara: Execute either of the cheats above without a flare in Lara's hand. Not a pretty sight, believe me.

Nude raider...
As for Nude raider, it is forbidden to discuss it on this website, but its basically about texture changing lara.
Old 04-03-13, 22:49   #5
Love2Raid
Tomb Raider

I saw a code in a magazine, once, 'nude cheat' for Tomb Raider 1 (on Playstation). I'm sure. But it was a Dutch magazine. I really don't remember which one and what the code was (it was ages ago, obviously ), sorry. :/ What I do remember, is that the code was supposed to be entered in Lara's Home, after you get out of the pool and she says that she 'had better take off these wet clothes'. Normally, the level ends once you get out of the pool, but with this cheat she would actually take off her clothes (I'm not lying ) and the game would continue, letting you explore the mansion naked. I tried it back then (for science ) but it obviously didn't work. xD

Good luck with the project!

Edit

We actually have a thread here with a big collection of magazine scans: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=112245

There are too many to look through all of them, but I found something related here (scan #8):
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=811

and here (scan #6):
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=806

there is also something here (scan #9):
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=721

Exploding Lara (scan #6):
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=578

Member Henk61 has uploaded a huge number of scans. He might actually know where to look, you could send him a message.

Last edited by Love2Raid; 04-03-13 at 23:29.
Love2Raid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 23:34   #6
Dustie
Relic Hunter

From an interview for GameGeek Peeks with Toby Gard and Paul Douglas, circa 1998:

Quote:
h0l: Were you amused or appalled at "Nude Raider"?

PD: It's pretty sad. Have you heard the rumour that it was Core that did it? It wouldn't surprise me in the least. We were actually asked to put something like that in the game by the boss, but flatly refused.

Link through Toby Gard's Wikipedia page, interview available here.

Last edited by Dustie; 04-03-13 at 23:36.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 01:21   #7
aussie500

The nude code thing was started as an April Fools joke, I believe the magazine was EGM2 #34 April 1997, unfortunately I do not have a scan of that issue.

But I am looking into it.

EGM ran an article in EGM #97 on the actual nude patch, they got some negative responses from readers several of which were published in EGM #98. The main complaint was they gave the web address for nude raider website.

I have seen the original hoax code article (just cannot find a scan of it), and certainly remember a lot of male friends doing all sorts of strange things on the PS1 trying to get Lara undressed, it was a great joke I got a lot of laughs out of, it took some a long time to give up and admit they had been fooled.

Edit
The scans are big enough to read, but apparently Photobucket is not going to let you read them without downloading them, sorry about that, there is probably a way, but I cannot work it out.

Last edited by aussie500; 05-03-13 at 01:42.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 01:39   #8
Spong
Beyond The Floating Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
Edit
The scans are big enough to read, but apparently Photobucket is not going to let you read them without downloading them, sorry about that, there is probably a way, but I cannot work it out.
All the image links you posted open (in Opera) just fine for me
Thanks for posting those scans. It's interesting to see where all that stuff apparently started
Old 05-03-13, 23:21   #9
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

That's interesting about the cruel tricks and April Fools being pulled by old Games magazines and the cruel-est of all for me was DIZZY the EGG game.

I remember playing this 2D platform game (there were a few in the series) and as Dizzy moved across Islands he finally came to a jetty.

Now in one of the magazines it was stated that if you waited (I think) for three hours in real time, a boat would come into the scene, and take Dizzy to another secret Island full of wonderful goodies.

Now in those days there was no internet, no walkthroughs, no game maps, nor any way to confirm with other players about this, and we all relied on weekly or monthly game magazines with readers comments and the like, so I think we were all taken in by this con, and waited hours to see this boat that never ever arrived, so the Yoke was on us
Old 06-03-13, 00:19   #10
Love2Raid
Tomb Raider

Hahahaha, omg that's truly evil!