www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 17-06-14, 19:32   #1
TheTiger
Professor

Default The 20 challenge - Fourth Round Preparations

So today it is time to announce the 4th round of the 20 challenge.
After a lot of inquiry about when this round would be launched, i finally decided to do it. Building phase will start at the end of June, and there will be no actual deadline for the time being as it is too early but it is allowed to allready start building as you read. I will probably announce the deadline of the building phase at the end of August.

I have some questions to the people that would like to participate. I would like you to have some input on the rules. I'd like to know if you have any ideas for new rules, limitations and suggestions on what could make this challenge more special. A most obvious suggestion would be to go with a certain level theme (which i absolutely don't want to!) Be creative and post your suggestions here!

You will not have to sign up this year. You are free to post your updates in the thread when you like to as you long as you will send me a ready-to-play file in ZIP or RAR format when its time.

Restrictions

The map must be smaller then 20 squares wide
The map must be smaller then 20 squares in length
The map must be smaller then 20 squares height[/CENTER]

Last edited by TheTiger; 24-12-14 at 22:46.
TheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-14, 19:34   #2
larafan25
Legend

What I always love about these is that people have all different themes. So I think it's best to leave the theme up to each builder. As well as the wad and textures.
Old 17-06-14, 19:35   #3
klona
Gold Contributor

OMG, I'm joining this.
Old 17-06-14, 19:37   #4
THOR2010
Professor

this time im definitely finishing my level, count me in!
Old 17-06-14, 19:38   #5
TheTiger
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
What I always love about these is that people have all different themes. So I think it's best to leave the theme up to each builder. As well as the wad and textures.
That's the exact reason why i do not want that limitation. I have been working on a package for the last half-year, but was either going to use it for my own 20 or a stand-alone release.
Old 17-06-14, 19:38   #6
larafan25
Legend

I always flop out. I flopped out of BTB this year (tho that was diff than this, I need creative freedom, I now realize. Beyond the limits of BTB), but this time Imma finish my entry. It's only one room for goodness sake.

Though I admit, I get all hung up on the idea that my level needs to be long, and isn't long enough. Which I guess is what it's about, making a fun, lengthly level within the space provided.
Old 17-06-14, 19:39   #7
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Shame that I'm busy right now... I hope I have freetime in the next 20x20x20 challenge

Last edited by SrDanielPonces; 17-06-14 at 19:40.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-14, 19:45   #8
TheTiger
Professor

^ Don't worry, there's enough time. I mostly announce the deadline once i see great progress coming along in multiple levels. As quite a busy student i can only relate to hectic schedules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
I always flop out. I flopped out of BTB this year (tho that was diff than this, I need creative freedom, I now realize. Beyond the limits of BTB), but this time Imma finish my entry. It's only one room for goodness sake.

Though I admit, I get all hung up on the idea that my level needs to be long, and isn't long enough. Which I guess is what it's about, making a fun, lengthly level within the space provided.
I remember you submitted a while ago though!
With 20 levels i tend to think more of creating what you for example would present on the E3 - Only the best bits of a full level. So directly to the point skipping out any long transition parts from area to area.

What i think could help, is to think of a simple and standard puzzle, and try to make it more unique and complicated as you work on it depending on the theme, setting and geometry.

Last edited by TheTiger; 17-06-14 at 19:47.
Old 17-06-14, 19:48   #9
larafan25
Legend

That's a great idea.

I actually came up with an idea a while ago, to sort of...compartmentalize AOD. As you said with your example about E3, showing only the best bits. I thought of a get-in-get-out sort of heist, run-through level in the style of AOD.

Maybe I'll do that.
Old 17-06-14, 19:51   #10
Underhoe
Relic Hunter

Since I've been so busy lately I couldn't even continue my own project, yet the sound of this is so great. Too bad I won't be home the whole summer, I'd like to finally release something, even if little.
Underhoe is offline   Reply With Quote