www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 31-10-14, 23:39   #1
:}hello friend
Professor

Default Can someone explain the differences in my PS1 TR4?

I recently ran into another copy of TR4, took it home and started it up to notice some apparent differences. I know my original copy is not the standard, but here are some major differences, and they only seem to be in the early levels of the game.

1) I can skip the tutorial dialogs by holding 'look' or L1.

2) This door in Angkor Wat is missing. Lara can run past without pulling the lever to let Von Croy get across. The ladder cutscene still triggers.

3) No cinematic camera angle occurs when Von Croy opens the door to end the level in Angkor Wat.

4) Several pickups are either missing or changed in the Tomb of Seth.
  • No shotgun shells at the beginning
  • Shotgun instead of Uzis in secret #3
  • No items in secret #5
5) Geometry is altered a bit in secret #3.
  • Lara takes significant fall damage after sliding down the slope where the blades pass overhead because of the altered geometry.
  • The scorpion pit where the Uzis are is 2x1 with an added scorpion.
6) No spikes in the area with the sphinx.

7) The ladder to secrets #4 and 5 is different.

8) Like the tutorial cutscenes, you can also skip the cutscene where your guide opens the door to the Sands of Time. However, it's not really a skip since the cutscene still occurs, you can just gain control of Lara while the cutscene is taking place. As a result, the guide doesn't disappear either, he stands motionless where he is supposed to exit.

9) No scorpions in that hallway.

10) In the Burial Chambers, no flyby occurs to show you the secret door in the mummy's sarcophagus.

11) Huge shortcuts exist in the spinning octagon room. Mainly because the spikes blocking the door to the scarab aren't there, making it possible to take a running jump from atop the ladder, and skipping the entire room.

12) Because of those missing spikes, there are texture differences. Some of floor looks a bit different too.

13) Geometry altered after climbing the ladder from the room with the chain and mummies.

14) In general, the sound made when pushing/pulling objects is completely different.

I haven't noticed any major differences between the two versions in any of the other levels, but I haven't looked for them either. My version is probably an 'early release' or the original first print, but I don't and I never had a case & manual to my copy of TR4.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting. Does anyone else have this version of the game with more insight, possibly more differences to discuss?

Last edited by :}hello friend; 31-10-14 at 23:44.
:}hello friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-14, 00:03   #2
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Never heard of these before.

Illuminati.
Old 01-11-14, 12:23   #3
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

My PS1 copy can do the cutscene skip thing you talked about because I remember always doing it to skip von croys annoying dialoug however, everything is does not apply to my version. I've got the black label PAL version by the way.

I think you might just have one of the earlier versions because I remeber a thread ages ago where someone talked about how they had two PS1 copies of TLR and how the valley of the kings level had a different layout that allowed you to bypass a large amount of the level of something like that.
Then it was discovered that the other version of TLR was and earlier version by a matter of days and that core desighn had patched up a few issues within that time so some of the disks after those few days after launch were slightly different. I think you have a lauch copy.

So basically, well done you have a rare form of the game XD
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-14, 13:06   #4
peeves
Sage

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1 through underworld and some extent the reboot games

My PS version of TR4 also has the door missing and when i fail the game the game over/mission failed screen doesn't show up instead it takes me to the loading screen. I also don't get the pickups in secret 5 and i get shotgun instead of uzis in secret 3 in tomb of seth. The spikes in my area with the sphinx are also missing and Burial chambers the spikes on that giant room are missing also. I also have different sounds when pushing the objects.
Old 01-11-14, 13:36   #5
Gh0stBlade
Professor

Because Core hadn't stopped working on the game. They kept pushing out new builds so you will probably notice that the greatest hits versions have more rooms and some other alterations compared to the original first releases. Not sure if it's the case with the platinum versions too for Europe.
Old 01-11-14, 19:45   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

The old thread below found a lot of interesting changes in TR4 due to different burn dates, which allowed modifications to be made.

You can check your burn dates for each level, on the disk information.

These differences depended on which country, USA, UK Europe and Asia, ect.

Also on which format PS1, PC, etc.

And also if a launch disk or a budget label, like Sold Out or Premier Collection, which were released at a later date.

Please do not post in this old thread....

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...ht=differences
Old 02-11-14, 04:56   #7
Dark Wiseman
Historian

Yeah, there's at least 4 different versions of TRTLR out there. Possibly more. I think the earliest versions only exist on the PSX, and most of the later versions only on the PC.

Adding to what was covered in the thread Chi linked too, I covered some other changes somewhat in this post:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...8&postcount=24

in this thread:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=185774

and also in this post:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...0&postcount=15

in this thread:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=182452

AFAIK, I have the earliest version of TRTLR (I picked it up on launch day, so I guess that's a given ). I believe Peeves has the second version. You'll have to check KV5 to see which one you have picked up.
Dark Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 08:38   #8
Gh0stBlade
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wiseman View Post
Yeah, there's at least 4 different versions of TRTLR out there. Possibly more. I think the earliest versions only exist on the PSX, and most of the later versions only on the PC.

Adding to what was covered in the thread Chi linked too, I covered some other changes somewhat in this post:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...8&postcount=24

in this thread:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=185774

and also in this post:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...0&postcount=15

in this thread:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=182452

AFAIK, I have the earliest version of TRTLR (I picked it up on launch day, so I guess that's a given ). I believe Peeves has the second version. You'll have to check KV5 to see which one you have picked up.
Very interesting documentations, thank you!

I wonder what the exact dates are for all of these PS1/PC different versions. I'm curious as to what the earliest would be. I remember extracting the data files from several different versions for PS1. The actual level sizes had some small differences.

My main concern is that the later versions had extra rooms on some levels. Does anyone actually know what rooms were added?

Oh, and those leaked files can also be classified as another version (I never checked for any differences)

Cheers.
Old 02-11-14, 12:03   #9
peeves
Sage

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1 through underworld and some extent the reboot games

I only know 2 different PSX versions or 3 if you count the version of lara's hair being like TR1 lara.
Old 02-11-14, 12:39   #10
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeves View Post
I only know 2 different PSX versions or 3 if you count the version of lara's hair being like TR1 lara.
?

This happened?