www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 08-02-15, 05:42   #1
LateRaider
Professor

Default Differences in Tomb Raider IV for PSone Classics?

Hello, everyone. I bought Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation from the US PlayStation Store to play Tomb Raider on the go and be able to browse the internet and play a Tomb Raider without having to quit the game. But I've encountered some odd differences that I'm not sure I should be experiencing.

- The title logo is the American one on the splash screen, but the European one in the actual title screen itself.

- The Tomb of Seth is missing the shotgun shells on the slope to the left near the start of the level.

- The third secret in the Tomb of Seth is missing the flat spot to drop down on and the brick to safely jump to, meaning you have to do some fancy movement and lose quite a bit of Lara's health.

- You find another Shotgun instead of the Uzis as your last item collected in the third secret.

- There's no "GAME OVER" text when Lara dies.

- The save menu time tracker says "0days ##:##:##" instead of "0 days ##:##:##". I saw this one in a YouTube video.

That's all I've come across so far. Does anyone know what's going on? I can make a video if need be, but it'll just be me recording my TV with my webcam.

Thanks for any insights I may get on this. Have a nice day.

Last edited by LateRaider; 08-02-15 at 05:49. Reason: This is sooo weird!!
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 15:21   #2
laravision
Archaeologist

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=207696

This thread contains links to older discussions too.

Last edited by laravision; 08-02-15 at 15:25.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 15:47   #3
Gh0stBlade
Professor

Because for Tomb Raider The Last Revelation they were still making changes to the game after it went gold and went to pressing. There are subsequently noticable differences to various levels. Some levels on the PS1 versions have more rooms and items than others. I have found a total of around 3/4 different PS1 versions (from my memory). I think for PC there were only two versions.

Regards.
Old 08-02-15, 19:04   #4
LateRaider
Professor

Thanks so much, laravision and Gh0stBlade! This is worrisome, though--I don't want an inferior version! Do you guys think I should try to pick up a physical disc copy of Tomb4 from Amazon? If so, what should I look for?

Edit - Then again, I only got this so I could raid tombs while chatting and take a Tomb Raider to my sister's house. (Their PS3 is synced to my PSN so they can get my games.) I own the GOG versions for PC of the Core games, which I consider superior; the final version of Tomb4 is included in it, near as I can tell.

Last edited by LateRaider; 08-02-15 at 19:08. Reason: I love this series.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 20:15   #5
davidmeyer000
Inactive

I don't understand why the crappy version was uploaded to PSN.
davidmeyer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 21:34   #6
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I remember I got an early version of the game with bits missing. When I played the dreamcast version I thought the added changes were just exclusive to those new entries I do think it's odd the game carried on going after it was released. I'm pretty sure there was a poor quality version of Chronicles doing the rounds too with differences in gameplay and the cutscenes but I think that was down to a demo form of the game leaking pre release more than any official changes.
Old 08-02-15, 21:42   #7
PhantomPain
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmeyer000 View Post
I don't understand why the crappy version was uploaded to PSN.
Because it was submitted by Square Enix/Eidos, who didn't exactly look into whether it is an inferior or superior version, they simply wanted to sell the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I remember I got an early version of the game with bits missing. When I played the dreamcast version I thought the added changes were just exclusive to those new entries I do think it's odd the game carried on going after it was released. I'm pretty sure there was a poor quality version of Chronicles doing the rounds too with differences in gameplay and the cutscenes but I think that was down to a demo form of the game leaking pre release more than any official changes.
I've heard about an early Chronicles version being put on shelves by accident that didn't include e.g. animated lips in cutscenes, among other things
PhantomPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 21:51   #8
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain View Post

I've heard about an early Chronicles version being put on shelves by accident that didn't include e.g. animated lips in cutscenes, among other things
I once had a version where the FMVs had music playing over them and some of the gamplay was different. I always through it had probably been acquired through less than honest means, given the PSone was heavily pirated, but maybe not. In all honesty after learning development on TR4 carried on post release and Chronicles was released within a year they must have thrown it together.
Old 08-02-15, 21:56   #9
PhantomPain
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I once had a version where the FMVs had music playing over them and some of the gamplay was different. I always through it had probably been acquired through less than honest means, given the PSone was heavily pirated, but maybe not. In all honesty after learning development on TR4 carried on post release and Chronicles was released within a year they must have thrown it together.
Did the FMV use Jean Yves character as it was originally intended? Maybe the faulty PC version was also not really "official", but who knows at this point...
Anyways it's interesting to see how the versions of the games vary, would be kinda boring if we only got 1 and only version.
PhantomPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 21:58   #10
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain View Post
Did the FMV use Jean Yves character as it was originally intended? Maybe the faulty PC version was also not really "official", but who knows at this point...
Anyways it's interesting to see how the versions of the games vary, would be kinda boring if we only got 1 and only version.
It did. I remember being really surprised when replaying what I considered a 'legit' copy of the game they'd replaced him with the bald guy. His name eludes me atm.