www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 03-06-15, 22:47   #1
innuendo1231
Hobbyist

Smile Tomb Raider 2, 3, 4 Classics in 4k 3840x2160 & Stereo 3D

Hello, Tomb Raider Community!

Today I made a discovery about TR 2-3-4 that is amazing to me at least.

Kurlyak's aspect ratio and FOV patch made it possible to play them in widescreen properly, but the game could not be run at resolutions higher than full HD 1920x1200. It just gave an error message on startup like "Failed to setup DirectX" and quit.

Now I found a solution for this. A hungarian guy made a dx11 wrapper called dgVooodoo. http://dege.freeweb.hu/

At first, that didn't help either, but then I tired something. The wrapper has a setting for emulated RAM. The max you can select is 65536 kB, BUT you are free to enter anything, I entered a multiple of that, 524288 kB.

The game can now start in 3840x2160 !!

The FOV gets seriously messed up though. At 1920x1080, I managed to tune the FOV and camera distance via Kurlyak's patch to be exaclty like it was with the original 4:3 exe (only horizontally wider), but this time it's different.

The problem is that the patch has 1200 as the upper limit for FOV setting, you can't enter anything higher (higher value means smaller FOV).
Patching with 1200, the FOV is still way too big!!! It would need an even higher number.

I hope Kurlyak is reading this, maybe he can help with this issue.

The other discovery is actulally only half mine. The dx11 wrapper also makes stereoscopic 3D possible via 3D Vision on a modern card, but first it needs some tinkering to get it working. Someone stated in onanther board that you need to add the games to Aion's profile (nvidia driver game profile), but there is a simpler, cleaner, and more elegant solution, as the former one may introduce new problems.

You need the Geforce 3D Profile Manager.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...625/kw/Profile

FACT: Nvidia Inspector DOES NOT WORK. It's flawed. Use the 3D profile manager.

The program's simplycity is almost painful, ther's only two buttons. YOu need to "Export SLI profiles". You get a text file that containts each existing game's settings. Look for the tomb raiders, all of them are there separately. The will be a string like this at each game :
Setting ID_0x70edb381
The value next to it is originally 0x24208b4f. You must change this to 0x24208b4c. Save the file.
Now you must use the 3D profile manager to import the file you just edited back into the driver.

Done. Now you can play in stereoscopic with 3D vision.

Unfortunately there is an issue left with this one too, the HUD (menu, texts in the inventory) is treated as a 3D object too. This is bad bacuse to get a decent 3D effect you must raise the 3D convergence, it's awfully low by default. However if you raise the convergence the HUD goes out of the screen. Bugger. There is another hexadecimal setting (RHWGreaterAtScreen) that should make the HUD 2D, but it makes no difference. It used to work with the legacy nvidia stereo drivers, but it won't work now. Must be because of the dx11 wrapper.

Anyway, I hope anyone smarter than me can fix the FOV problem and maybe even the 3D HUD. Cheers.

Last edited by innuendo1231; 03-06-15 at 22:51.
innuendo1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 14:12   #2
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

Thumbs up

This is great news! I have been looking for a way to play classic Tomb Raiders in 4K for a while now. I even created a thread a while ago about it in the technical help section but it was unsuccessfull.

Thanks for the great news

EDIT: I need your help to configure it. I have placed the dhvoodoo2 download on my desktop and I have changed the VRAM to the number you said but when I try to start Tomb Raider 2 in 4k it says "failed, create devise" please help

Last edited by ToMbRaIdErxFtW; 04-06-15 at 14:34.
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 20:23   #3
innuendo1231
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
This is great news! I have been looking for a way to play classic Tomb Raiders in 4K for a while now. I even created a thread a while ago about it in the technical help section but it was unsuccessfull.

Thanks for the great news

EDIT: I need your help to configure it. I have placed the dhvoodoo2 download on my desktop and I have changed the VRAM to the number you said but when I try to start Tomb Raider 2 in 4k it says "failed, create devise" please help
I'll post pictures about the sttings.
You must copy the files D3DImm.dll and DDraw.dll from the "MS" folder of dgVoodoo to the game folder (it must be where the game exe is) Both of them are needed because the game uses Direct3D for ingame and DirectDraw for FMV. You should not copy the glide files however.

After placing the dgVoodoo files in the game folder you must run tomb raider's setup again, as your new graphics adapter will be dgVoodoo virtual card. Set the resolution to 3840x2160 32 bit (ture color).

Last edited by innuendo1231; 04-06-15 at 20:25.
Old 04-06-15, 22:28   #4
innuendo1231
Hobbyist

PS. I made sone progress with the FOV problem. I found the HEX values to fiddle with, I just need some more time to fine tune it.
Old 05-06-15, 10:31   #5
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

It is working fantastically thanks alot however, it does have a field of view problem as you said and it seems to give me a screen tearing problem. Ill be anticipating an update for when you fix this. thanks alot!
Old 05-06-15, 11:03   #6
CelticGuard
Archaeologist

holy cow. I haven't tested it yet, but doesn't this open the possibility for using ENB series and the like for Classic TRs? I hope it's possible!
CelticGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 13:56   #7
innuendo1231
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGuard View Post
holy cow. I haven't tested it yet, but doesn't this open the possibility for using ENB series and the like for Classic TRs? I hope it's possible!
I don't think so, ENB is for dx9, plus ENB and dgVoodoo both use directx dll files to "hijack" the game's rendering, so you use either this one or that one.

Last edited by innuendo1231; 05-06-15 at 15:10.
Old 05-06-15, 22:55   #8
innuendo1231
Hobbyist

Here they are. This archive conatins in separate folders for tomb 2, 3, 4:

- original 4:3 exe

- 16:9 unmodified FOV exe

- FOV tuned for 1920x1080 exe

- FOV tuned for 3840x2160 exe

Make sure to rename the one you choose to use to tomb2.exe or tomb3.exe or tomb4.exe !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mdvn0bb9q..._exes.zip?dl=0

No files for chronicles yet, I don't have that one on my computer right now, but I'll do that next week sometime too.

ToMbRaIdErxFtW:
To get rid of the tearing you mention you probably have to force vsync in your nvidia/ati control panel for the games.

Last edited by innuendo1231; 05-06-15 at 22:57.
Old 08-06-15, 11:20   #9
ToMbRaIdErxFtW
Historian

works really well for me now but I have a bit of a framerate issue. It's really low? Do you know how I can fix it?
Old 08-06-15, 20:54   #10
innuendo1231
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
works really well for me now but I have a bit of a framerate issue. It's really low? Do you know how I can fix it?
Well, what cpu and graphics card do you have? Maybe all the dx11 wrapping at 3840x2160 is gpu or cpu heavy. I have an i7 920 @ 4ghz and a gtx 980.

Also check your displays refresh rate. There must be an "info" or something in its menu or on its remote. It should be 60 hz or 30 hz but not anything else.

Maybe changing some settings in dgVoodoo also helps. Like try entering half the RAM you have now, or disable phong shading.