www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 28-07-15, 05:52   #1
TwinPistols92
Archaeologist

Default PS4 ver originally to release alongside PC in Q1/2 2016 - deal renegotiated after E3

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I think this should be have its own thread and title so more people know about the snakery of it all. An alleged insider source on reddit says this:

Quote:
So I heard some stuff in regards to what's been going on behind the scenes with Rise of the Tomb Raider (from a business perspective).

Basically the pre-orders are pretty low... I'm not sure exactly what sort of numbers qualify as 'low', but it's certainly well below whatever Microsoft and Square Enix had projected for this point in time.

So, things got semi-nasty... sort of.

Square Enix are feeling kind of upset because Microsoft hasn't really been putting enough money on the table to promote the game. Microsoft feel like Square Enix screwed the pooch with the less-than-impressive E3 showing, a little upset with how Square Enix were talking about the exclusivity deal around E3, and they're disappointed in how press have been covering the game in general.

Basically, both sides feel like the other side has some blame to shoulder, so they were pointing fingers at each other, and as a result, communication between the companies sort of collapsed.

After E3 2015, they went back in to renegotiate the contract.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was going to see the PC and PS4 iterations launch simultaneously in Q1/Q2 of 2016, but Microsoft wanted a longer exclusivity window. They felt the lack of pre-orders could have been because people were thinking they'd get it a few months later on the PS4. Well, Microsoft got what they wanted, clearly evidenced by the Q1/Q2 launch on PC, and the holiday 2016 launch date for the PS4. In return, Square Enix wanted to be able to openly discuss the PC and PS4 iterations now, so people would get the idea they weren't REALLY being screwed by exclusivity, because the game was coming to other substantial gaming platforms at a later date.

It's also worth noting that Square Enix are semi-okay with waiting until holiday 2016. Releasing in the Q1/Q2 window of 2016 means it would have to go against Uncharted 4.

Now, my personal opinion, is that Square Enix were pretty dumb to make this deal in the first place. They sold a pretty nice number of the Tomb Raider remake/reimagining, yet they weren't happy with it. To go exclusive on the platform that factually doesn't have the majority market share seems... well, silly.

But, there you have it. I'm sure plenty of you will question if I'm trolling or whatever, but I've attempted to inform this sub once before, just prior to E3 in regards to the Rare classics collection:

The thread about the Rare classic game collection
So basically because of the terrible buzz and low pre-orders for the game which MS assumes is from everyone thinking (rightfully so apparently) they would be able to buy the game for PS4 a couple months later, they renegotiated the deal to further ensure no one else could play unless they buy an Xbox. Their original plan was to bank on the fact that they were bamboozling everyone with their deceptive "Xbox Exclusive Holiday 2015" marketing. So now they've thoroughly ensured no PS players would be playing until the game is old and irrelevant. SE doesn't seem to mind because they think it means they're avoiding Uncharted 4. Wouldn't it be great if Uncharted 4 got delayed to Holiday 2016?

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comm...being_pointed/

Last edited by TwinPistols92; 28-07-15 at 06:05.
TwinPistols92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-15, 05:59   #2
LarasFan
Professor

Quote:
They felt the lack of pre-orders could have been because people were thinking they'd get it a few months later on the PS4.
Ahahaha
After reading many comments on different sites, 90% of them say that they will wait for the ps4 version even if it's a year. XD MS, nobody wants to play it on your console... too bad.
LarasFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-15, 06:03   #3
Zebra
Legend

Sounds plausible and basically like what a lot of people had already been speculating. Still, knowing that the PS4 version was (rumouredly) supposed to be released alongside the PC version in early 2016 sort of really sucks.
Old 28-07-15, 06:13   #4
Mr GaGa
Relic Hunter

Another controversy before the release of the next TR game I see. Last game it was the Rape fiasco and now it is the Deal foolishness. Ahhh just think someday we will be talking about the TR3 controversy and referring back to this one and the rape one . Good Times
Old 28-07-15, 06:17   #5
Zebra
Legend

Only the rape controvery was idiotic, unnecessary click-bait bull**** artificially blown out of proportion by pseudo-journalists. The exclusivity deal is an actual major ****-up on Square's part that fully deserves the ****storm it's gotten.
Old 28-07-15, 06:23   #6
Mr GaGa
Relic Hunter

I got to admit, Microsoft did pull a low blow by extending the time before PS4 players can get the game. I mean that was just wrong, they deliberately renegotiated the deal to keep PS4 players away for a year and Square said ok sure . Sorry Guys but even I know that was wrong. Sigh

Last edited by Mr GaGa; 28-07-15 at 06:24.
Mr GaGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-15, 07:03   #7
RAID
Tomb Raider

What were they expecting? Mega high pre-orders after they:
1. Went exclusive on the least selling platform
2. Pissed off/Banned 90% of their fanbase
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarasFan View Post
Ahahaha
After reading many comments on different sites, 90% of them say that they will wait for the ps4 version even if it's a year. XD MS, nobody wants to play it on your console... too bad.
Good riddance!!!! I hope they lose billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GaGa View Post
I got to admit, Microsoft did pull a low blow by extending the time before PS4 players can get the game. I mean that was just wrong, they deliberately renegotiated the deal to keep PS4 players away for a year and Square said ok sure . Sorry Guys but even I know that was wrong. Sigh
Not sure if you're serious or toying with us...

Last edited by RAID; 28-07-15 at 07:06.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-15, 07:05   #8
BluenoseGames
Relic Hunter

Ah, The Passion of Microsoft ...
Old 28-07-15, 07:13   #9
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluenoseGames View Post
Ah, The Passion of Microsoft ...
And the power of their "friendship"
Old 28-07-15, 07:14   #10
BigR4444
Gold Contributor

Dont know how true this is...

I would love to see high tension between these two sides... I dont know which side is worse...
MS actually thinking that people would go nuts for the game because its announced as exclusive...
Or SE for thinking, hey, our fanbase is pissed, what should we do? I know, lets demand more money from MS and make our fans wait longer...

Found this interesting..http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/42183/USA/

Couldnt even crack the top 40 huh? Way to waste your money microsoft...
BigR4444 is offline   Reply With Quote