www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 01-03-16, 11:37   #1
kunoichi
Explorer

Default play TRLE - for complete beginners

When I wanted to start playing TRLE, I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how to do it, as I am not a very tec friendly person. The faq thread in this section helped a bit, but I found it hard to trouble shoot all the errors I encountered and I was very close to giving up because I was really frustrated. Eventually, Google was my friend and I figured it out.

So I decided to make this thread to help noobs like me to play TRLE, illustrating every single step you need to make, starting from scratch. It may look complicated, but in reality it’s really simple. I hope this tutorial helps.

1 - DOWNLOAD TRLE
• I strongly suggest you create a desktop folder caller TRLE, to make your life easier
• Go to stella’s tomb raider site TRLE section: http://tombraiders.net/stella/trle.html
• Download the TRLE zip, and extract the files to your desktop TRLE folder

• You may skip this step for more recent levels, as they come with all the files you need

2 - DOWNLOAD LEVELS/GAMES
• Go to tlre website: http://www.trle.net/
• Download any game/level you desire.. You can browse the levels by type, difficulty and user score.
• Click the download button

• Unzip it to you TRLE folder. I suggest you create a folder for each different level.
• This is what most levels will look like:

• Note the tomb4.exe
• To play you only need to double click the tomb4.exe file. However, most of the times this will create errors, or wonky looking games. We need to create a setup file.

3 - SETUP AND PLAY THE GAMES TROUBLE FREE
•Although not always necessary, I strongly recommend that you create a setup tomb4 file, otherwise you won’t be able to choose your game settings and errors may occur.

•First we need an original setup tomb4 file. Sometimes the levels will bring their own setup tomb4 file, but the vast majority will give you an error
•To avoid this, download any level that has a setup tomb4, like the Shalebridge Murder Mystery (highest rating elvel in the site). There is a setup tomb4 file that you can copy
•Copy that setup tomb4 from the Shalebridge Murder Mystery (or any other level you find that has one setup file) to your chosen level folder:

• in the example above I am using a setup file from the level "snow queen", and copying it to the level I want to play, "cook island treasure"

• Now you have to "correct" your new setup tomb4 file to work with your level, so you have to find out where your tomb4.exe file is located on our computer. For that we are going to create a desktop shortcut for your tomb4.exe.
• right click on the tomb4.exe, and select create a shortcut. It will ask if you want to create a shortcut on the desktop, say yes.

• You now have a tomb4.exe shortcut on your desktop. Right click it and choose properties

• On the properties, copy the full target location

In my case it was this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Core Design\trle\LEVELS\south pacific relaxing\tomb4.exe
yours should something similar

• Now right click on your setup tomb4 file, and select properties. A pop up will appear.
Where it says "target", paste your target location with " before and after, and add (space)-setup at the end
Where it says "start in", you don't have to do anything. Should it give you an error, then just past your target location and delete the "\tomb4.exe" part.

Here is how my setup properties looked like:

My target:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Core Design\trle\LEVELS\south pacific relaxing\tomb4.exe" –setup
My start in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Core Design\trle\LEVELS\south pacific relaxing

• Click apply and ok to close this pop up

• To start the game double click on your corrected setup tomb4
• The setup window will appear
• Select volumetric FX (unless the readme of the level says to disable it. Have a look at it) and select your resolution based on your screen. Click OK.

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE NOW PLAYING YOUR CHOSEN LEVEL

4 - PLAY WITH A CONTROLLER
• If you want to use a controller to play the games, use a controller emulator.
I use “joy to key”. You can download it here http://joytokey.net/en/
• To setup the controller, watch this quick video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyJtLTeMJsQ

This is my setup for TRLE

happy raiding

Last edited by kunoichi; 01-03-16 at 21:25.
kunoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 11:48   #2
Soul
Gold-

Good guide (would have needed something like that years ago ), though nowadays you can actually play ALL the levels directly from their folder, so there's no need for your first step.

Also: VolumetricFX must not be used if there's distance fog in the level, so I'd change that. Maybe write that one should have a look into the readme of the level and see if it says to disable VolumetricFX.

Last edited by Soul; 01-03-16 at 11:50.
Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 12:06   #3
kunoichi
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul View Post
Good guide (would have needed something like that years ago ), though nowadays you can actually play ALL the levels directly from their folder, so there's no need for your first step.

Also: VolumetricFX must not be used if there's distance fog in the level, so I'd change that. Maybe write that one should have a look into the readme of the level and see if it says to disable VolumetricFX.
Thank you for the feedback. I edited the tutorial with your tips
And yeah, a tutorial like this would have helped me a lot a month or so ago... so I hope new players don't have to experience the frustration we felt before.

Last edited by kunoichi; 01-03-16 at 12:09.
Old 01-03-16, 19:35   #4
PallasAthene
Archaeologist

Awesome, thanks for posting! I'm pretty dumb when it comes to tech-y stuff so this is great for me
Old 01-03-16, 21:28   #5
kunoichi
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthene View Post
Awesome, thanks for posting! I'm pretty dumb when it comes to tech-y stuff so this is great for me
It only hurts the first time after that you will see you can easily do this for any level you desire. I hope you enjoy the many wonders of TRLE
Old 01-03-16, 21:34   #6
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Thanks ! I've sure this will help newbies to get into the TRLE world hehe

I got introduced to trle back in 2012. I had NO idea how to play a trle level and I've been like crazy to play one

My first post was a question I made (I bumped an 2009 thread) for the first trle game I ever played ahah
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 23:14   #7
MindlessDraw
Hobbyist

Thanks for this thread! Unfortunately I have a problem: I downloaded the level Shalebridge Murder Mystery (since I want to play that one) and also downloaded TRLE from the link you quoted. I made a folder titled TRLE in Documents and then I extracted the content from the TRLE zip. Then inside the folder that I extracted from it I created the folders ''NIVELES'' (''levels'' in Spanish) and finally the game's folder.

However, the ''setup tomb.4'' file does not appear in the way it should, so I can't do the steps 2 and 3. I don't know what it's wrong

P.S: IMO, I think you should specify how to do this for other levels, I mean: does the last step work for the rest of levels, or do you need to create a tomb4.exe shortcut in the desktop everytime you want to play a new level you've just downloaded so that it works?
MindlessDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-16, 11:10   #8
Titak

Delete the one you marked in red.
Then make a shortcut, in that folder, of the tomb4.exe.
Then go on from here: "Now right click on your setup tomb4 file, and select properties. A pop up will appear." to change the new shortcut to the setup.

Btw, you don't need to make a TRLE folder for playing custom games.
You can simply unzip downloaded levels and play them from the unzipped folder.
Old 02-03-16, 16:49   #9
Mytly
Tomb Raider

Location: In the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

The setup link creation part is unnecessarily convoluted. You don't need to copy anything. Just create a shortcut for the tomb4.exe of the level you're playing, open properties, and add -setup at the end of the target field. Done!

The settings are saved, and remain the same for all the levels that you play from that point on, until you change them. So you don't need to run setup for all the levels - only for the ones where you need to change something, like turning the volumetric FX on or off.
Mytly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-16, 18:39   #10
Dustie
Relic Hunter

^ which can be annoying, because if there's a different custom exe that has a different setting for widescreen or you're running the original tomb4 from the game or TRLE you end up having to run config again to correct it.

I agree the shortcut part seems unnecessarily complicated... you just need to create a shortcut to tomb4.exe (or whatever it's called in the package), go to properties and add /setup at the end of the Target field.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote