www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 19-10-17, 15:52   #1
tlr online
Administrator

Post Our rules on posting images and why it's important

When you post an image on our forum you copy the image location/link and then insert/embed in your post using IMG /IMG tags.

Let's say I own the domain www.example.com and I have an image hosted here: www.example.com/image.jpg. You embed the image on our forum using the IMG /IMG tags. The owner of www.example.com can delete the original image.jpg and replace it with a different image.jpg, and this could be anything. Suddenly the content you posted has changed without notice and in most cases not for the better.

We have had multiple cases where popular image hosting services (ones that are now banned here) were recycling the links they give you when you upload to their platform.

We have had multiple cases where site owners who don't want their images being hotlinked have replaced content with bad stuff.

Google often flags my Adsense account over content it states is violating their policies because of image switching.

This forum is expensive to maintain and I'm happy to do this in return for your consideration of my rules. These rules keep us partially funded.

If you want to embed images on the forum, you can either use our album feature (which is actually pretty good) or you can use one of the hosts listed here. No other hosts are permitted simply because I do not have time to keep track of every single image ever posted on the forum and to continually check to see whether the host is still around or if they are misbehaving by switching images.

I hope this is a better explanation of my image rule and why it's in place. If you made it to the end, you're awesome.

Last edited by tlr online; 07-02-19 at 16:32. Reason: Condensed further.
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 16:05   #2
Caesum
Tomb Raider

You should try to install a modification that allows posting img links only from those sites that are permitted.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 16:05   #3
Moosey
Archaeologist

Are we allowed to embed pictures from google images? Just kind of confused since the approved image hosts lists includes google but it seems a bit unclear.
Moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 16:08   #4
tlr online
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
You should try to install a modification that allows posting img links only from those sites that are permitted.
This would require a third-party addon. Not something I favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
Are we allowed to embed pictures from google images? Just kind of confused since the approved image hosts lists includes google but it seems a bit unclear.
I believe Google Images simply create thumbnails which link to the original image. I'll investigate further and clarify.
Old 19-10-17, 16:13   #5
Mickybyrne20
Professor

Well, that makes sense. Glad you clarified for us.

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 19-10-17 at 16:19.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 16:15   #6
tlr online
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
Well, that makes sense. Glad you clarified for us.

Why can't we post links to videos on YouTube that contains swearing and adult humour? I would understand if it was on your page as an embedded video, but if it's a topic of interest to people, and just a standard link, then I think maybe it should be allowed.

You and the mods do your best to keep the forum as clean and productive as possible but c'mon... the newest Tomb Raider games are age 18 rated.
Feel free to add this to our suggestions thread. This one is for my image rule.
Old 19-10-17, 16:27   #7
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
Google Images is just a search engine, not an image host. On the other hand, Google's hosting service would be Google Drive. If you find an image through Google Images that would like to post here, you can simply copy the image URL, go to (for example) imgur.com, click on Post New and paste the URL to upload the image to imgur, then use one of imgur's Share Links to post it here. Alternatively, instead of copying the image URL, you can also copy the image itself and paste it using CTRL+V on imgur's Post New screen to upload it.
Old 19-10-17, 18:18   #8
Cochrane
Golden

The small preview pictures on the Google image site are hosted by Google itself, but the moment you click on anything, all bets are off. But even for the small preview pictures: Google does not promise that the same URL will always lead to the same image. Hosting these images on Google's servers is a detail of how they set up their site, not a promise they made to people.

So embedding preview images from Google image search at least violates the idea of the image rules. I would not do it. Use only images you uploaded yourself to an approved host.
Old 19-10-17, 19:00   #9
Scottie
Archaeologist

Maybe I'm blind (it's normal when you play TR Costum Levels...), but I can't find the Album Feature when I click on my User CP
Old 19-10-17, 20:23   #10
Lord Lulu
Explorer

It is always good to have the rules refreshed. People can forget or become complacent. And still new people who don't know how things work.

Of the sites you listed I only use Deviantart and Imgur and Google as a search engine. I'm fairly certain NSFW stuff is banned. But what kind of images are allowed?