www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 10-09-18, 23:28   #1
Retr0
Hobbyist

Unhappy Square Enix Store Not Shipping Pre-Orders in Time for Early Access

Okay. I hate being that kind of customer, so apologies in advance, but I'm literally so frustrated, I can't even form coherent thoughts.

I preordered the collector's edition of Shadow of the Tomb Raider back in April and chose Super Saver Shipping (5-10 days) at checkout, because it was the cheapest shipping option. I didn't know why Square Enix offered multiple shipping options for preorders, because in my experience with other retailers, preorders are shipped to arrive on the release day, or close to it; with that being said, I didn't think it mattered which shipping option I selected and I wasn't about to pay $35 for overnight shipping if I didn't have to.

Fast forward to the end of August and I got an e-mail telling me that they'd be billing my credit card and shipping the order. I reached out to SE Store support via e-mail to inquire about the shipping method and whether or not Super Saver Shipping would get me release day delivery. I was told that they ship out preorders a week in advance to ensure release day delivery. Good, but weird. If that's the case, then why bother offering multiple shipping options of various pricing?

My credit card was charged 4 to 5 days later and now we're 2 days away from the Early Access launch and the order still hasn't shipped. Last night I reached out to SE Store support via e-mail again with screenshots of the e-mails I've sent and received regarding the order and requesting a status update. Since the promotion is that preorders get 48 Hour Early Access, I should be getting my order on the 12th. That's the promotion, that's what was promised. If preorders are supposed to get the game on the 12th, then why does it matter which shipping option is selected?

Not to mention the fact that there is ZERO information on the SE Store that advises customers which shipping option to select to guarantee release day delivery.

I called the SE Support number and spoke with a representative who told me that I won't be receiving my collector's edition until the 14th, but on the 12th I'll receive a digital copy as part of the early access promotion. I'm not calling him a liar, but I think he's GROSSLY misinformed. There's no way SE is going to send me a digital copy of Shadow of the Tomb Raider and then send my collector's edition with a physical copy. That doesn't make any sense. With other games like Forza, with early access, you're able to get your physical copy early. I've never been given a free, second, digital copy of a game just because of an early access promotion.

Now I have to wait for someone to respond to my e-mail because the SE Store does not have a support phone number; the number I called is general customer support and they have nothing to do with the SE Store. This is just ridiculous. $200 and I'm not even being given the early access as promised. Unless by some magic, it gets shipped out today with two day delivery, I won't be playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider until the end of next week and this is unacceptable. I should have just passed on the collector's edition and got the Croft Edition from Best Buy.

I sent another e-mail to Square Enix Store support and still no response. I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait 24-48 hours for a response. I messaged the Tomb Raider Facebook page and tweeted to Tomb Raider and Square Enix and...crickets.

Has anyone else experienced similar troubles? I don't think I'll be ordering from the Square Enix store going forward.
Retr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 23:50   #2
Soma Holiday
Relic Hunter

Alot of us are in the same boat and we are very frustrated. I haven't emailed SE but i was promised early access with UE purchase so unless the game arrives in 28 hrs then SE broke that promise. It hasnt even shipped yet...

I too chose standard shipping because it wouldn't make sense not to. I also took off work wednesday and all next week.

Hoping to get a miracle code in email but not holding my breath.
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 23:51   #3
Mikky
Legend

To be fair, as far as I know we were never specifically told in any official capacity whether or not the early access would be physical or digital, there was just a lot of back-and-forth guessing. You saying that they told you that you'll receive a code sounds like as good as a confirmation to me.

That's regarding the SE store at least, because there has indeed been retailers that have already sent the game out to customers. I guess it's possible that they were misinformed and had the wrong idea and think they were meant to send them out earlier, when really, everyone was just supposed to get a code too. I mean, if customers don't have that information, it can be just as likely that a lot of retailers don't either. I completely blame this on lack of communication - this should have been explained from the start.

Then again, it's also possible that your copy (and everyone else's) has in fact already been shipped but they just haven't updated you on it. I advise you wait for the 12th and see what happens: best case scenario, the game will arrive and you'll be pleasantly surprised; worse case, it won't arrive but you'll still be able to play the game.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 00:01   #4
Retr0
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
Alot of us are in the same boat and we are very frustrated. I haven't emailed SE but i was promised early access with UE purchase so unless the game arrives in 28 hrs then SE broke that promise. It hasnt even shipped yet...

I too chose standard shipping because it wouldn't make sense not to. I also took off work wednesday and all next week.

Hoping to get a miracle code in email but not holding my breath.
Unreal. I don't usually get like this; I usually just shrug my shoulders and move on, but I am so disappointed and frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikky View Post
To be fair, as far as I know we were never specifically told in any official capacity whether or not the early access would be physical or digital, there was just a lot of back-and-forth guessing. You saying that they told you that you'll receive a code sounds like as good as a confirmation to me.
In my experience with preordering and getting early access, if it's physical, it's shipped/available for pickup early. If it's digital, it unlocks early. I have never received an additional digital copy on top of a physical one. For example: Forza. Every time I preorder Forza's Ultimate Editions with early access, my physical copy is available for pickup early. I wasn't sent an early digital copy. I think the representative was misinformed.

Quote:
I completely blame this on lack of communication - this should have been explained from the start.
Agreed. Communication has been horrible from the start.

Quote:
Then again, it's also possible that your copy (and everyone else's) has in fact already been shipped but they just haven't updated you on it. I advise you wait for the 12th and see what happens: best case scenario, the game will arrive and you'll be pleasantly surprised; worse case, it won't arrive but you'll still be able to play the game.
I just heard from one of my friends from Tomb Raider Cosplay that she preordered last month and hers shipped already. I preordered 5 months ago and mine hasn't shipped yet. Is the Square Enix Store running a circus or something?

Yeah, I guess I have no choice other than to wait and see what happens. This has been such a horrible experience overall.
Old 11-09-18, 00:02   #5
Soma Holiday
Relic Hunter

^ the wheel of dlc content had "48 hr early access" above the Ultimate Edition. Only physical copies of UE were made...that should be considered a guarantee imo. And also imo people who spend 200 dollars shouldnt be expected to spend 35 more just to guarantee that guarantee, especially when they gave no info.

Im not discounting a miracle. But if IF they dont pull it off I will be very annoyed and likely file a complaint. Maybe they will overnight every UE version to us!!!
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 00:17   #6
Mr GaGa
Relic Hunter

Glad I ordered the Croft Edition from Gamestop, Just walk in Wednesday and pick up the game and the flashlight. I'll get the UE statue on Ebay Later
Old 11-09-18, 00:19   #7
Retr0
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
^ the wheel of dlc content had "48 hr early access" above the Ultimate Edition. Only physical copies of UE were made...that should be considered a guarantee imo. And also imo people who spend 200 dollars shouldnt be expected to spend 35 more just to guarantee that guarantee, especially when they gave no info.

Im not discounting a miracle. But if IF they dont pull it off I will be very annoyed and likely file a complaint. Maybe they will overnight every UE version to us!!!
Agreed 100000%.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome. Otherwise I will be filing a complaint, as much as I hate being that kind of customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GaGa View Post
Glad I ordered the Croft Edition from Gamestop, Just walk in Wednesday and pick up the game and the flashlight. I'll get the UE statue on Ebay Later
Honestly, I wish I did that. I would have went with Best Buy to get my 20% off. Of course it's too late now; they're not accepting preorders for anything except the standard edition. Croft Edition is sold out and the ultimate edition was the SE Store only.
Old 11-09-18, 00:56   #8
Sayonel
Historian

I don't know if it's true or not, but a friend of mine who also ordered UE said that they are supposed to ship it out tomorrow and we would get it on the 12th. Said that she ordered from Square's website before and that's been her experience with pre-orders.

So far it feels like this is being poorly handled. There's been conflicting info and nobody knows whats going on or what to expect. When the 12th rolls around I'll either be happily playing Shadow of the TR, or i'll be angry that my package isn't here yet.
Sayonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 01:06   #9
BigR4444
Gold Contributor

Its been years since Ive ordered a game online that I needed to play on day one...

I just dont do it...

The retailer, the warehouse, the shipping company... too many opportunities for someone to blow it...

If theres a game I NEED day one; I go pick it up.

Ive learned my lesson in the past...
BigR4444 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 01:07   #10
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

I didnít order from the Square site but a game retailer well known in the UK. I got an email on Friday telling me that theyíre packing the game, hopefully Iíll receive it by Wednesday.

With them promoting ď48 hour early accessĒ I would assume that means theyíll send out the pre-orders. No where does it state that itís digital only and Iím pretty sure early access is one of the reasons most people have pre-ordered the special editions.

Iíll be voicing my opinion if I do not receive my copy 48 hours earlier.