www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28-04-20, 18:11   #1
UroshUchiha
Historian
 
UroshUchiha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Serbia
Posts: 465
Default Tomb Raider Legend (Symbian)

Some of you might remember this post I made two years ago while I was a hunt for a way to play TRL Symbian edition on PC. Not long after that reddit post I met a person who wanted to start work on a Symbian emulator because none existed at the time.
One year after that he managed to get the emulator to boot and I did a few progress reports at the time. Another year after that we reached a stage where certain games can be booted and played from start to finish actually. And to celebrate that he took the time to make TRL bootable for me to test.

And so I did, the first two levels so far. I also recorded the intro of the 2nd level

The emulator in question is called EKA2L1

Almost all Tomb Raider games ever created (not counting PS4 and Xbox One since I'm talking about retro stuff) can now be played on PC with various emulators.
The ones that still can't are:
1. Tomb Raider - N-Gage (A future goal for EKA2L1 is to run N-Gage stuff as well)
2. Tomb Raider - iOS versions (I really want to try that 'demo' version of Lara Croft - Reflections before it got canceled)
3. And I guess some of those Tomb Raider slot games

EDIT: There is a version of the game with a slightly higher resolution, but at the moment it has visual glitches which should be fixed shortly (here)
EDIT2: Removed Tomb Raider - Pocket PC from the list of thing that can't be emulated. It actually can be emulated, I just wasn't aware of the official Microsoft Device Emulator (only works in WM5, latest WM6 can't run the game)

Last edited by UroshUchiha; 29-04-20 at 12:39.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-20, 10:16   #2
CircusBabysGal
Student
 
CircusBabysGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Sister Location
Posts: 222
Default

Interessting stuff, seems to run good aswell!
__________________
The show will begin momentarily, everyone please stay in your seats.
CircusBabysGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-20, 17:35   #3
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist
 
CheshireBitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,613
Default

impressive work of digging ! Thanks !!
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 14:30   #4
kevindatsun
Explorer
 
kevindatsun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philippines :D
Posts: 908
Default

Glad to see this is finally possible on PC!

I played the Symbian version of TRL when I was a kid. It was really a fun experience for a mobile version and this is what I remember from it:

- There are only 3 levels which is Japan, Ghana, and England
- You start on Japan at the rooftops wearing a catsuit that resembles TR5
- Ghana is very fun to play because you are spending more time outdoors jumping around cliffs while admiring the beautiful background.
- The final boss fight is the serpent from England. There was also no mention of Amanda throughout the entire game.
- I don't know if my memory serves me right. But as far as I remember, you can't use the Excalibur in the game. The game ends where you find the last piece and Lara reattaches it and boom! credits roll
__________________
Removed. Do not advertise.
kevindatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 15:10   #5
Zsott
Archaeologist
 
Zsott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: France
Posts: 2,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
Almost all Tomb Raider games ever created (not counting PS4 and Xbox One since I'm talking about retro stuff) can now be played on PC with various emulators.
Many of them can be played on your phone too.
I for one, downloaded a gameboy emulator, and having the GBA TR titles onbmy phone.
Same can be said about .jar/.jad games .


Quote:
2. Tomb Raider - iOS versions (I really want to try that 'demo' version of Lara Croft - Reflections before it got canceled)
This is an interesting one.
I've tried to find it with my "reliable sources" , but even if I find a site, that would let me download it, it's gone.
As in, the hosting site is gone or files had been removed.

I did found this video about it, tho:



Quote:
3. And I guess some of those Tomb Raider slot games
I had the misfortune to play one of those. It was a slot game, with AoD Lara in the background. It was bad.
One mobile game I enjoyed very much (or I might be nostalgic) is TR Puzzle paradox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindatsun View Post
- You start on Japan at the rooftops wearing a catsuit that resembles TR5
There was a java version of it, called Tomb Raider Tokyo.
But it was only Japan, and 3 levels.


English version, without voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrNxuO467Ik

Last edited by Zsott; 10-05-20 at 15:21.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 16:15   #6
kevindatsun
Explorer
 
kevindatsun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philippines :D
Posts: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post

There was a java version of it, called Tomb Raider Tokyo.
But it was only Japan, and 3 levels.


English version, without voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrNxuO467Ik
I played this one too. But I prefer the Symbian version because it is well optimized, especially for Symbian Nokia devices.

I remember that Underworld has a 3D java game as well. And that was tons of fun but it is composed of running around corridors with little climbing and shooting.
The 2D version of Underworld, however, is the most fun version at least for me. It got lots of platforming compared to its 3D counterpart.
__________________
Removed. Do not advertise.
kevindatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 19:48   #7
UroshUchiha
Historian
 
UroshUchiha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Serbia
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
This is an interesting one.
I've tried to find it with my "reliable sources", but even if I find a site, that would let me download it, it's gone.
As in, the hosting site is gone or files had been removed.
I actually have acquired the v1.0.1 and v1.0.2 of the .ipa files for Reflections back in 2016. I have no idea where and how at this point. I just archived them on my storage. Not much I can do with them at the moment though.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-20, 11:57   #8
UroshUchiha
Historian
 
UroshUchiha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Serbia
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindatsun View Post
Glad to see this is finally possible on PC!

I played the Symbian version of TRL when I was a kid. It was really a fun experience for a mobile version and this is what I remember from it:

- There are only 3 levels which is Japan, Ghana, and England
- You start on Japan at the rooftops wearing a catsuit that resembles TR5
- Ghana is very fun to play because you are spending more time outdoors jumping around cliffs while admiring the beautiful background.
- The final boss fight is the serpent from England. There was also no mention of Amanda throughout the entire game.
- I don't know if my memory serves me right. But as far as I remember, you can't use the Excalibur in the game. The game ends where you find the last piece and Lara reattaches it and boom! credits roll
Screenshot, you are right with everything. I just finished the game using this emulator. The last boss was... tedious, the checkpoint system is also unforgiving. They are too few and sometimes you have to go through a long period before you see the next checkpoint so if you die you go all the way back.
And no, you can't use the Excalibur at the end.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-20, 17:08   #9
BlueCake
Historian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Come to Brazil
Posts: 313
Default

It's like a really bad level editor game.
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 01:23   #10
SLAYER
Archaeologist
 
SLAYER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jordan
Posts: 2,183
Default

I played it on my 6630 back in the day. My friends were jealous seeing the waterfall on the main screen. I was wondering if this game and others would be preserved in some form. Good work on getting them back to life!

I remember installing the N73 (?) version and indeed it was running in a higher resolution. I would only see a quarter of the screen. I remember it being in portrait mode though, not landscape as the screenshot suggests. There could be a 3rd version, or maybe my memory is failing me, it was 15 years ago

There was another game that came around the same time and used the Legend story. It was a 2D puzzler with mirrors and lights.
__________________
Right now, I'm losing patience
SLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 19:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.