Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 05-02-07, 01:08   #1
Geck-o-Lizard

Default Hair experts, look here please

I've been wanting to get dreadlocks for months now but haven't the patience to grow real ones. I tried growing my hair out a couple of months ago but gave up when it got annoying at three inches long. Plus I like having really short hair too and I can't have both, can I?

Well...

http://www.angrycaninelovestick.org/

I stumbled across that tonight and now my creativity's racing. I could quite easily get some black wool "dreads" (check the wool tab on that site) and some thin smooth & ribbed black tubes to make a set of dreadlocks out of, but how could I attach it to my head, considering how short my hair is?

Geck-o-Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 01:27   #2
xMiSsCrOfTx

You could probably have shorter dreadlocks. Or you could keep your mowhawk style and grow it out, then have longer ones but use a lot of hairspray and keep them going back in a row like (random idea, hey, you said you wanted creative ).

It's always been my dream to have blue dreads (read my profile)
xMiSsCrOfTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 01:34   #3
CerebralAssassin

start worrying about that when you get to that bridge

if you want long dreads,you're gonna need REALLY long hair to begin with (the hair shortens as it gets dreaded)

you'll need the patience to grow it out.(half an inch per month on average)
CerebralAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 01:37   #4
Geck-o-Lizard

People, please read the site I linked to. Fake dreads, not real ones! Basically it's a wig that comes in a hundred separate little bits that each need attached separately.

Nah I tried to grow my hair but decided I'm too impatient. Basically I've been aiming for a dreadhawk from the beginning, but never thought of how long it would take to grow my hair the normal way. 1 foot of hair per year. An inch a month.

I'm thinking I might be able to use some PVA glue to stick the dreads on. It's meant to wash out, and folk use it to hold mohawks up. Dunno how strong it is tho...

Last edited by Geck-o-Lizard; 05-02-07 at 01:38.
Old 05-02-07, 01:43   #5
CerebralAssassin

I dunno gecko...those dreads look fake to me...it's best to get the REAL thang ain't it?

some blue dreads for Al!

CerebralAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 01:43   #6
xMiSsCrOfTx

LOL see, don't they look hot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geck-o-Lizard View Post
Fake dreads, not real ones! Basically it's a wig that comes in a hundred separate little bits that each need attached separately.
Seems like a pain in the ass though, the fake ones. Why not just go for the real thing? You'll still be able to have fairly short hair as it grows out, but you can always cut it if you feel it just isn't your scene.
Old 05-02-07, 01:51   #7
Geck-o-Lizard

Quote:
Seems like a pain in the ass though, the fake ones.
Real ones are even more hassle, because you can't wash your hair properly with them. Plus I want to be able to switch between dreads and short hair at will, rather than alternating once every couple of years.
Old 05-02-07, 01:53   #8
xMiSsCrOfTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geck-o-Lizard View Post
Plus I want to be able to switch between dreads and short hair at will, rather than alternating once every couple of years.
Yeah, I guess you do get a bit more variety with the fakes.
Old 05-02-07, 02:25   #9
Satu

I'm no expert, so the only thing I can suggest is do your home work on this, which I am sure you will.

I know that hair extensions can really damage your hair if not done properly so I would imagine that it might be the same for dreads. You have short hair anyway so if it ****s up then you don't have much to chop of anyhow.
Satu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 11:12   #10
Greenkey2

Grace, whatever you do DON'T FOR GOD'S SAKE USE PVA GLUE!!

It's wood glue, paper and cardboard glue. I use it for making wargaming scenery. Please don't get that stuff anywhere near your skin or hair or you'll end up looking like you came last in the World Champion Bubble-gum Blowing Contest.

I actually love your hair as it is My ex wanted dreadlocks and looked into having them (real, his hair was quite long) but when a hairdresser told him of all the wildlife dreadlocks attract he decided against it

Fake ones probably don't get as bad though.
Greenkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote